Linen/room spray question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
After having had some empty linen spray bottles that I've filled up simply with water and a few drops of my fav FO, I now bought some Fragrance Oil modifier but don't really know how much of each I have to use.
I bought 2 oz spray bottles and WSP gives a ratio as follows : 4 parts Modifier to 1 part FO/EO
How much does that equal for a 2oz bottle? I suck at math!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Could somebody please help me out!

Thank you! :)

I would cheat & make it 3 parts modifier & 1 part fo so that math would be easier.

Tabitha said:
I would cheat & make it 3 parts modifier & 1 part fo so that math would be easier.
Ok, thanks, Tab! :)

As to what it is: Here's what WSP says :
Fragrance Oil modifier is a proprietary emulsifying agent that allows oil to dissolve with water. When used correctly, your end product will remain 100% clear.

I thought I might need it/try it out... Even though so far it hasn't bothered me to shake my room spray prior to using :lol:

OK, their *modifier* is just an undisclosed chemical that allows water & oil to mix. I use polysorbit for this. I have also used Tergitol in the past.

So yes, you do want to use say 3 parts modifier & 1 part fo to make your *new* water based fragrance .

Then follow whatever ratio you were before EX) 1 1/2oz water & 1/2oz water based fragrance.

I use poly at a 1:1 ration. In an 8oz bottle I will pour in 1 tsp fo & 1 tsp poly & shake, then top of w/ water or body mist. You MUST blend the modifier (poly) and fragrance well BEFORE adding the water .

What happens is the modifier mixes w/ the fo & then the modifier mixes w/ the water so the modifier *carries* the fo with it through the water. Without the modifier the oil will either sink or float & not blend.

Most modifiers will make your mist milky too, that is why most body mists & room sprays are in aluminum, white or other colored bottle. This one sya it is clear which will be a plus.

just because the site says it will stay clear, it won't/maynot in all fragrances.

sometimes the ratio suggested for polysorbate won't work either, some fragrances require more to make them stay clear.

i use a product called triton x-100 from the chemistry store. i have had pretty good luck with this keeping my linen sprays clear, but i do have one fragrance ( lilac) that requires a tad more then the 3:1 ratio. this works better for me then polysorbate.

i also add a preservative to mine, even distilled water will eventually develop mold.

you can make a super easy body mist using cyclomethicone and fragrance oil. this can also be used as a room spray but i'm not sure i like the idea of the cyclomethicone sitting on my fabrics.

as always tests before actually spraying on fabric, some eo/fo's may cause staining or oily spot.

www.lotioncrafters.com ( has a formula section, and a room lined spray recipe.)

barb

what do you use as a preservative and how much, I tried adding germell once, but I was not sure how much to use, it smells like medicine in my spray and it didn't like it.

Back