Lilac soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
here is a pic of my lilac from yesterday--I am calling it a semi failure cuz I was going for straight lines :( . its a good smelling lilac. now I need to figure out how to make those nice straight lines. I tried covering a piece of heavy cardboard and pouring on that 20190803_130528 (2).jpg

It’s really pretty though—fresh color! May I ask how the lilac behaved in the batter? Would it blend with lavender do you think?

It’s really pretty though—fresh color! May I ask how the lilac behaved in the batter? Would it blend with lavender do you think?

it didn't accelerate but I thought it discolored a bit so I wound up mixing up white mica quick to add to it, my soap is normally white. I don't know how it would smell with lavender. but its the best lilac I have smelled so far, I got it from Mica and More

How did it discolor—what color did it turn to? My lilac is P & J. No telling what it will do—thrilling to handle on the spot sudden surprises!!

How did it discolor—what color did it turn to? My lilac is P & J. No telling what it will do—thrilling to handle on the spot sudden surprises!!

it just went to an off white--I stopped and mixed some white mica and oil up and it did not accelerate so I was happy

I use Lilac and always mix it will Lavender at 2 parts Lavender EO and 1 part Lilac FO. It is a steady seller for me.
Who or what is P&J?

thanks, I need to try this--people have been asking for lavender and I gotta get crackin on it
Sorry I forgot the original post, I think your soap looks great.

I find for getting even layers you need to get the layers to a good trace that can hold the next layer then pour over a spatula until you get an even layer with the second layer. I bring my batter to just emulsion, pour off the first layer add in some fo, color and SB until it get to a medium trace. You still want it pourable. By the time you get the next layer prepared the bottom should be firm enough. :lol: of course soap has a bad habit of not doing what we want it to do.

I think it looks great, much better then perfectly flat, straight lines.

thanks-I do like it but now that the straight lines didn't work for me I see it as a challenge :)

SB until it get to a medium trace.

that's what I was missing thanks, I will try it when I am ready to try again :)

of course soap has a bad habit of not doing what we want it to do.

Aint that the truth hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very pretty soap. I so want to smell it! The straight line is a challenge, for sure. I’ve seen people pour at thin trace, making each layer individually and using an accelerating FO. Recently I saw a video where someone made extra batter, poured each layer at medium trace and then used a straight soap shaper to scrap a clean level surface. She put the extra soap she scraped out into an individual mold. I might try that approach when I’m not concerned about each layer being exactly the same thickness. Splitting the oils, adding lye layer by layer and then building up the soap with the mini portions will help to ensure that each layer levels perfectly and is the same thinckness, but it takes a lot of time. I also find the method challenging with small batches because the batter portions are so small that it’s hard to mix them with a SB without introducing a bunch of bubbles.

You soap is so lovely - wish I could smell it because lilic is one of my favorite scents. My lilic FO is old and needs to be replaced - thanks for sharing where you got yours. BTW - nature does not do straight lines. I think your soap has movement, much like lilic flowers swaying in the morning breeze. Good job!

Fluid lines reflect nature. But, I watched the video from Royalty Soap on rainbow straight line layer soap: her technique was mixing one color at a time to slow thickening by colors sitting. That let the bottom layer go on to thickening and the new layer being more fluid to float on top. Also pouring on spatula to prevent breakthrough. I thought it was a good video about layering.

I use Lilac and always mix it will Lavender at 2 parts Lavender EO and 1 part Lilac FO. It is a steady seller for me.

Who or what is P&J?
P&J is a brand off of Amazon. I have since come to my senses. Fortunately small bottles. But it seems to be ok but it’s a crap shoot about how it will behave. Anyway, I had been thinking of lilac/lavender. Glad people like it.

here is a pic of my lilac from yesterday--I am calling it a semi failure cuz I was going for straight lines :( . its a good smelling lilac. now I need to figure out how to make those nice straight lines. I tried covering a piece of heavy cardboard and pouring on thatView attachment 40712
Not a failure. I think it's lovely!

here is a pic of my lilac from yesterday--I am calling it a semi failure cuz I was going for straight lines :( . its a good smelling lilac. now I need to figure out how to make those nice straight lines. I tried covering a piece of heavy cardboard and pouring on thatView attachment 40712
They’re beautiful! The curvy layers go well with the gentle swirls in the lilac layer.

I agree about the layers being perfect for the scent. It's a BEAUTIFUL soap and I love your middle swirl pattern. Very nicely done!

I also agree that once that dang soap messes with your plan, it fast starts that whole thing into a massive challenge you just have to accomplish.
:nodding:

Latest posts

Back