Lilac & Rose with Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
20200919_164408.jpg

Made both of these batches a week ago, but didn't get around to uploading the pics till today. FOs are Lilac (purple batch) and English Rose (pink). I used tussah silk in both batches---my first time using it.

Question for those who've used silk: do you find that it quickens trace at all? Both of these batches got thicker faster than I expected. I know that florals tend to accelerate, and I did over-stick-blend the liilac batch....but curious if anyone else has experienced mild acceleration when adding silk?

(And yes, I realize that there are some sad glycerin rivers going on, especially in the bottom layers. I have this nagging fear of partial gels, so I too often overheat.)

Thanks for everyone's replies. Sounds like the issue was probably just the florals combined with a little too much stickblending. I wasn't sure, since silk was new for me. I appreciate the input!

View attachment 49713
Made both of these batches a week ago, but didn't get around to uploading the pics till today. FOs are Lilac (purple batch) and English Rose (pink). I used tussah silk in both batches---my first time using it.

Question for those who've used silk: do you find that it quickens trace at all? Both of these batches got thicker faster than I expected. I know that florals tend to accelerate, and I did over-stick-blend the liilac batch....but curious if anyone else has experienced mild acceleration when adding silk?

(And yes, I realize that there are some sad glycerin rivers going on, especially in the bottom layers. I have this nagging fear of partial gels, so I too often overheat.)
I love the glycerin rivers. I thought you did that on purpose!

Your soaps are very pretty!

View attachment 49713

Beautiful soap, no sad at all!

Question for those who've used silk: do you find that it quickens trace at all? Both of these batches got thicker faster than I expected. I know that florals tend to accelerate, and I did over-stick-blend the lilac batch....but curious if anyone else has experienced mild acceleration when adding silk?
I realize the OP is old, but I have the same question about the addition of silk accelerating the trace. In my first silk batch, I added spider silk and milk to the lye water and the combo thicken to a paste. In the second batch I added some silk fabric to the lye water. Within a minute of adding that to the oils and stick blending, the batter leaped past trace. Neither batch had fragrance or essential oils.Overall, I've only made ten CP batches, with different oils in each. None of them traced so quickly.

@desiredcreations I’ve only used tussah silk and corn silk powder. Neither had any affect on trace for me.

Is it possible that you are over-blending? I couldn’t tell from your comment whether you meant you were blending for the whole minute that it took to trace. If so, that much blending would make your batter way too thick unless you have a pretty large batch.

Heat is another trace accelerator, along with certain oils (pomace olive oil and coconut oil, for instance).

I realize the OP is old, but I have the same question about the addition of silk accelerating the trace. In my first silk batch, I added spider silk and milk to the lye water and the combo thicken to a paste. In the second batch I added some silk fabric to the lye water. Within a minute of adding that to the oils and stick blending, the batter leaped past trace. Neither batch had fragrance or essential oils.Overall, I've only made ten CP batches, with different oils in each. None of them traced so quickly.
I’ve been using Silk for over 10 years, it doesn’t trace any faster at all.

@desiredcreations I read your post about using spider silk. In that post you noted the lye solution had thickened, but it wasn't clear that you had also added milk to the lye solution as you have said here. I suspect the milk played a part in both the lye solution and the batter thickening quickly.

As @AliOop has suggested, it is very possible that you are over blending or possibly soaping at a warmer temperature. I use tussah silk, and have not experienced acceleration.

Hi @desiredcreations ... Since I first tried silk two years ago, I've been putting it in almost every batch. I haven't continued to have issues with silk and trace, so I suspect that my problem with the rose and lilac batches was the accelerating fragrance oil.

@desiredcreations I’ve only used tussah silk and corn silk powder. Neither had any affect on trace for me.

Is it possible that you are over-blending? I couldn’t tell from your comment whether you meant you were blending for the whole minute that it took to trace. If so, that much blending would make your batter way too thick unless you have a pretty large batch.

Heat is another trace accelerator, along with certain oils (pomace olive oil and coconut oil, for instance).
Oooh! You are implying the size of the batch can impact the time to trace? The second batch was extremely small (total weight approximately 140 gms. I've never made one that small before. I hadn't considered the batter amount in time to trace. Thanks!

Back