Lilac & Rose with Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@desiredcreations I read your post about using spider silk. In that post you noted the lye solution had thickened, but it wasn't clear that you had also added milk to the lye solution as you have said here. I suspect the milk played a part in both the lye solution and the batter thickening quickly.
Yes, there was milk in the spider silk batch. Are you saying the combination of the milk and spider web proteins denature (like cooked egg whites)?

Yes, there was milk in the spider silk batch. Are you saying the combination of the milk and spider web proteins denature (like cooked egg whites)?
No, I am saying that the milk probably caused the thickening of your lye solution. You say here that you used milk in your lye solution - in your other post that wasn't mentioned. Milk can also speed up the soap batter once the lye solution and fats are combined.

Oooh! You are implying the size of the batch can impact the time to trace? The second batch was extremely small (total weight approximately 140 gms. I've never made one that small before. I hadn't considered the batter amount in time to trace. Thanks!
Yes, I tend to find that the smaller the batch, the less time it takes to come to trace. For micro-batches like yours, I don't use a regular stickblender; instead, I use one of these. That way, I can mix to a stable emulsion without overblending to thick trace. It's also great for mixing micas or clays in oil. :)

Yes, I tend to find that the smaller the batch, the less time it takes to come to trace. For micro-batches like yours, I don't use a regular stickblender; instead, I use one of these. That way, I can mix to a stable emulsion without overblending to thick trace. It's also great for mixing micas or clays in oil. :)
Thanks for the tip. It makes perfect sense to scale back on the blending tool.

Back