Lightening up..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
I've been going through my fos and realize that because I pick them out with my sweet tooth, many are bakery type scents containing vanilla. :roll:

Any suggestions as to what I can do to avoid having loads of brown or tan soap? Many of them are .5oz samplers.

I do have td, but no micas. Also have SS and some ultamarines and oxides. Not sure if they will help with a dark brown/tan.

Have a bunch of scents that I'd like to use up before ordering more.

TIA :)

Jude

That sounds great. Not that I don't like tan or brown soap, but I have a lot of little bottles. :)

Jude

That is good to know LJA , I too seem to pick the scents with vanilla . Going to BCN to order some .

Kitn

Kitn said:
That is good to know LJA , I too seem to pick the scents with vanilla . Going to BCN to order some .

Kitn

You have to use equal parts FO as stabilizer though which can be a decent amount more liquid so make sure you use the stabilizer amount as part of your water. Ask me how I found that out....lol.

"You have to use equal parts FO as stabilizer though which can be a decent amount more liquid so make sure you use the stabilizer amount as part of your water. Ask me how I found that out....lol."

Ok, I'll ask, what happened?

I've used their stablizer several times and didn't deduct any water for it. But I only do 1 to 2 pound batches which makes for only 1 or 2 ounces FO and I tend to use a little less stablizer than FO for some odd reason. I don't like the smell of the stablizer, maybe that's why. But once it's traced I add the stablizer and FO and (knock on wood) so far everything has turned out fine.

(Knock on wood again, I'm soaping tonight and don't want to blow it) :lol:

LJA said:
Kitn said:

Kitn

You have to use equal parts FO as stabilizer though which can be a decent amount more liquid so make sure you use the stabilizer amount as part of your water. Ask me how I found that out....lol.

Thanks LJA , I am sure I would have found out the hard way .. :wink:

Kitn

Natalie said:
"You have to use equal parts FO as stabilizer though which can be a decent amount more liquid so make sure you use the stabilizer amount as part of your water. Ask me how I found that out....lol."

Ok, I'll ask, what happened?

I've used their stablizer several times and didn't deduct any water for it. But I only do 1 to 2 pound batches which makes for only 1 or 2 ounces FO and I tend to use a little less stablizer than FO for some odd reason. I don't like the smell of the stablizer, maybe that's why. But once it's traced I add the stablizer and FO and (knock on wood) so far everything has turned out fine.

(Knock on wood again, I'm soaping tonight and don't want to blow it) :lol:

In a 4 lb. batch , it made a super soft (mooshy even) block of soap. The corners were total moosh. I have a pic on here somewhere. I figured out that at 1 oz. PPO of FO, I had an extra 4 oz. of liquid in my soap...duh. I'm a little slow sometimes...lol. :p

Wouldn't have thought about deducting the water. Good to know. :)

Natalie, love your avatar!

Jude

Back