Light seperation in mold, or something else?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheLion

Reaction score
I made two batches of soap last night, testing two new recipes. Same oils in each, just slightly different proportions. One set up nicely in the mold. The other is sweaty on top, much less opaque and still very soft, though no zap.

The recipe of the offending batch:

Olive oil 8.8 oz (55%)
Coconut oil 4.0 oz (25%)
Castor oil 1.6 oz (10%)
Soy way 1.6 oz (10%)

NaOH 2.23 oz (33% concentration)
Water 4.53 oz
5% superfat

The recipe was run through soapcalc and I double-checked that I hand-copied all the values correctly. I soaped at room temp for both and mixed both to the same level of trace- thin pudding.

Pictures are below. In the second pic, the problem child is on the left while the good kid is on the right. At this point, they've been in the molds about 20 hours.

So should I just leave it in the mold and see what happens or is there other action to be taken?

b4ab3dbd-fd7a-42c7-bb06-3e18fa13658d_zpsa5m67j3l.jpg
672b0cd9-3b08-449d-be94-ddfbd3c049de_zps9p8471pb.jpg

The mold to the left appears to have gelled, and overheated just a tad. Just let that sit until firm, then cut. The liquid (usually my FO or EO for some odd reason) will reabsorb over time.

Thanks, Susie. I forgot to mention that I CPOP'ed it and I think the oven was a bit hotter than the last time I tried CPOP, so that would explain it. I've not had a batch sweat before so I wasn't sure what happened. I'll let it hang out in the mold for a while longer.

Latest posts

Back