Light, Medium, Heavy Trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyk

Reaction score
I've just started swirling my soaps and my first attempt saw me trying to mix a medium to heavy trace. Sort of worked but was in very concentrated patches.

My second attempt was a Light trace and it worked well.

My question is, if not swirling or anything and just pouring a log mould, what is the downside to pouring a light trace into the mould and letting it set?

Well probably the downside is that you won't have any ripples or bubbles in the top surface of the soap. ;)

IOW I believe you should pour at light trace for a better surface. The thinner batter will level itself more easily. I can't see any downside as long as your batter is adequately mixed, and if you've got light trace it's adequately mixed.

Hi Lovehound,

I'm not real keen on the uneven surface texture and much prefer a smooth bar.

I did notice that with the thinner mixure it was flatter, just wasn't sure if it affected the integrity of my soap.

Cheers

Pointing out again that I'm a newbie, as long as you are definitely tracing, even if only very lightly, I think that indicates that your oils and lye are mixed well enough for saponification to proceed and I think at that point you are just as good as any further degree of tracing.

In fact light trace is the best time to stop because that gives you the maximum time to put in EOs/FOs, colorants, additives, and apply any swirl before your batter seizes.

I think light trace is the very best time to quit stirring and TCB. :)

Latest posts

Back