Light colored rim with indigo colored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky1024

Reaction score
I have made 2 batches of this soap with Nurture Soap's indigo. The color is a gorgeous denim blue, but in both batches there is a light rim around the sides, top and bottom. It is not soda ash. It is soap just missing the indigo. It's kind of a happy mistake since it makes the soap look interesting but I would rather have a uniform blue. Any idea how to correct it?

My recipe is olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil. I weigh out the indigo, it is the equivalent of 1 tsp / ppo. Scented with lavender and patchouli EOs. I cold process with the oils and lye in the low 100's, pour into molds at light trace, full gel. The loaf is cut a day after it is made. The cut edges do not lose color, so it is all happening in the mold.

Attachments

• lavender patchouli bastille soap - 1.jpeg
    lavender patchouli bastille soap - 1.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 25
I don't have any help for you. It looks like the rim I get when I use rosehips or cocoa powder -- BUT the rim is the color that then moves inward until the entire bar is uniformly colored. This looks like the opposite. I do like the look of it and I bet it smells awesome.

I don't have any help for you. It looks like the rim I get when I use rosehips or cocoa powder -- BUT the rim is the color that then moves inward until the entire bar is uniformly colored. This looks like the opposite. I do like the look of it and I bet it smells awesome.
It's one of my favorite scents. It's funny - I use cocoa powder and several different colors of clay in my soaps but never have seen a rind like this. All have the same oils and I use the same molds. It's weird.

I have made 2 batches of this soap with Nurture Soap's indigo. The color is a gorgeous denim blue, but in both batches there is a light rim around the sides, top and bottom. It is not soda ash. It is soap just missing the indigo. It's kind of a happy mistake since it makes the soap look interesting but I would rather have a uniform blue. Any idea how to correct it?

My recipe is olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil. I weigh out the indigo, it is the equivalent of 1 tsp / ppo. Scented with lavender and patchouli EOs. I cold process with the oils and lye in the low 100's, pour into molds at light trace, full gel. The loaf is cut a day after it is made. The cut edges do not lose color, so it is all happening in the mold.

How long ago did you make the soap? Have you watched it over to time to know if it changes at all, or does it remain the same with the white all around the outer edges?

Any time I have used indigo I have seen this happen. I have only used the one from Wholesale Supplies though. I have also seen it in the soap from Amy Warden as well, when she used the crystals. The edges have remained light colored for me until I use the soap and it wasted away. It even happened when I used both indigo and a nettle leaf infusion, the edges were a lighter green color.

IMG_8805.jpg

How long ago did you make the soap? Have you watched it over to time to know if it changes at all, or does it remain the same with the white all around the outer edges?
I made this batch about 2 months ago. It had that rim when I removed it from the mold a day after making it, and it has remained the same since.

Any time I have used indigo I have seen this happen. I have only used the one from Wholesale Supplies though. I have also seen it in the soap from Amy Warden as well, when she used the crystals. The edges have remained light colored for me until I use the soap and it wasted away. It even happened when I used both indigo and a nettle leaf infusion, the edges were a lighter green color.

View attachment 52131
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this.

I'll have to look back at my Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants soap, which I made using indigo. I do not recall a whitish ring around it at all, and I think it would have stood out in my mind.

Well, maybe it wouldn't have done that in that they were Ghost Swirls (High & Low water). It didn't.

I keep thinking I'm going to make more soap with indigo, and just haven't done it again.

Back