Life Changing 3 Weeks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I completely understand the sense of joy you said you felt afterward. I have rarely felt that emotion in life, or even used the word, but I absolutely did after she took her last breaths. This is hard to explain to people, so I perked instantly at your words. I've never in 13 years heard anyone else describe it that same way that I did.
Ah, Cara, well said. It's heart-warming to know there is at least one other person who "gets it." Thanks.

@ Maria: Thank you, dear friend.

I used to have a porch on my old house. Would sit outside in the evening, Autumn and early Winter with a hot cup of Tea and a Bear skin over my waist/legs. Would be so nice a quiet, even better when the snow was falling.
Yes! Me thinks I have found a kindred spirit!

Two funny other things worth mentioning. The County Coroner sent me a Sympathy card. Who does that? Then, for lunch, I ordered up my new fave fast food -- a Harvest Chicken Salad at Wendy's -- chicken, greens, bacon, walnuts, cranberries, apples, with cider vinegar dressing. An average-looking middle-aged guy with white hair, great smile and twinkling blue eyes standing behind the girl at the register asked me politely if I was over 55?! I smiled and said "I'll take that as a compliment! Yes, I'm 75." He winked and said, "Then you get a free drink!"

What a day!

I wonder if the wallet will turn up somewhere completely unexpected.. would make for nice storytelling hehe

The stress and worry is probably being "lifted out" from you as each good day goes by and it's showing.. And ya got a wink! I like winks, the non-sleazy type lol

I realize it's Wendy's but what was your free drink? The Wendy's here has really nice lemon iced tea with bits of pulp floating around and it's all I buy from there if it's not water. In extra large haha

I'm so sorry for your loss and so touched by the way you are handling everything. Thankyou for so much for sharing. It bought me to tears due to the sadness of your loss but I understand the peace too.

I'm sending my love and prayers. As you said one day at a time, one step at a time!

My sincerest condolences. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I really appreciate reading this as I have lost many family members through cancer, and am happy that you have experienced love in such a way. Blessings to you and your family going forward.

I realize it's Wendy's but what was your free drink? The Wendy's here has really nice lemon iced tea with bits of pulp floating around and it's all I buy from there if it's not water. In extra large haha
Hi Dawni! I had the Hi-C orange drink. He gave me a small cup. Which was fine. I'll look for the lemon ice tea next time.

Dear SMF peeps,

My dearest hubby of 44 years, Jim, passed away peacefully at home at 7:43 AM on Wednesday, November 7. At age 87 he was older than I am by 12 years and ready to let go of this life on Earth. He was in no distress and had no pain. He was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer on October 18, 2018. It had spread throughout his body. His life expectancy was 3 months. He had been having back pain since he fell a year ago and injured two discs in his spine, so we assumed the pain he had been having on and off since then was due to that. We never suspected cancer.

On Thursday morning, November 1, he woke up with intense pain. He was transported to the ER where he was diagnosed with a lung infection/pneumonia. He was treated at Sky Ridge Hospital in Lone Tree for 5 days before his doctor said that Sepsis (a life-threatening complication of an infection) was imminent. In his words, “The infection will kill him before the cancer has a chance” and recommended Home Hospice Care.

He came home on Monday, November 5. Taking care of him at home was both a blessing and a privilege. I never expected it to be the spiritual and loving process it was. At one point I thought “This is one of the best times of our lives together”. I am grateful for the degree of intimacy we shared over those 3 weeks. It was dotted with laughter as we progressed through this final journey. It was Jim’s wish that his body be donated to science, so it will be several weeks before he will be cremated according to his wishes.

In one of our recent discussions, I asked Jim if he was at peace. Unable to speak at the time, he put his hand over his heart and nodded. After he did that, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and comfort. I hope sharing this with you brings comfort to you as well. He would want that.

Take good care and love each other! Many blessings,

Cee aka Zany
"You don't have a soul, you ARE a soul. You have a body." ~ C.S. Lewis
My heart goes out to you, please excuse me if I make any grammar errors, it is because I cannot see through the wells of tears. But what a lovely post, thank-you for sharing and I am sorry for your loss.
Hugs,
Kelly

Kelly & Southpaw (I'm one too!) - Thank you for your kind thoughts and hugs. I'm in need of both and glad I dropped in to read your messages.

HUUUUUGS back atcha Dawni! BTW, I've been to the Philippines... long time ago... stayed at a resort in Bagio, and toured around the countryside out of Manila. Beautiful country, very green and friendly, "colorful" people. The one strange thing I remember was when we boarded the plane to Bagio we were asked to check our guns! That was back in '69... I wonder if that's changed?

HUUUUUGS back atcha Dawni! BTW, I've been to the Philippines... long time ago... stayed at a resort in Bagio, and toured around the countryside out of Manila. Beautiful country, very green and friendly, "colorful" people. The one strange thing I remember was when we boarded the plane to Bagio we were asked to check our guns! That was back in '69... I wonder if that's changed?
I'm sure it's a very different place now..... Baguio has grown into a huge, crowded city, but the people are still the same lol

Not sure about the guns? Haha I'm from here and I don't even know people can fly into Baguio lol

Dear SMF peeps,

My dearest hubby of 44 years, Jim, passed away peacefully at home at 7:43 AM on Wednesday, November 7. At age 87 he was older than I am by 12 years and ready to let go of this life on Earth. He was in no distress and had no pain. He was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer on October 18, 2018. It had spread throughout his body. His life expectancy was 3 months. He had been having back pain since he fell a year ago and injured two discs in his spine, so we assumed the pain he had been having on and off since then was due to that. We never suspected cancer.

On Thursday morning, November 1, he woke up with intense pain. He was transported to the ER where he was diagnosed with a lung infection/pneumonia. He was treated at Sky Ridge Hospital in Lone Tree for 5 days before his doctor said that Sepsis (a life-threatening complication of an infection) was imminent. In his words, “The infection will kill him before the cancer has a chance” and recommended Home Hospice Care.

He came home on Monday, November 5. Taking care of him at home was both a blessing and a privilege. I never expected it to be the spiritual and loving process it was. At one point I thought “This is one of the best times of our lives together”. I am grateful for the degree of intimacy we shared over those 3 weeks. It was dotted with laughter as we progressed through this final journey. It was Jim’s wish that his body be donated to science, so it will be several weeks before he will be cremated according to his wishes.

In one of our recent discussions, I asked Jim if he was at peace. Unable to speak at the time, he put his hand over his heart and nodded. After he did that, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and comfort. I hope sharing this with you brings comfort to you as well. He would want that.

Cee aka Zany
I sounds as though you two were truly soulmates. I am so very sorry for your loss. How lucky you were to have had each other. As others have said,, thank you for the CS Lewis quote - it says it all.

Dear SMF peeps,

Cee aka Zany
Zany,

You were given a privilege that many don't have. I grieve with you, but also rejoice that you had such a wonderful time with your husband. I will keep you in my prayers.

Zany, I don’t know how I’m only seeing this now, but I wanted to extend my condolences. I’m thankful that you and Jim had that sweet time together and that he was able to go in peace, and as much on his terms as possible. Prayers for you as you continue to adjust to life without him.

- Melissa

Dear SMF peeps,

Cee aka Zany
I’m very new here, so I hope I don’t offend by responding so late.
This was beautiful and I am overwhelmed with gratitude that you shared this journey and that I was lucky enough to read it.
Thank you.

Back