Lib Balm Sweetener

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
I started experimenting with some lip balms this week. Something I've been trying to do for some time. But I think the flavors are a little tart. Do most of you put a sweetener in your balms?

Last night I made one with Peppermint EO and one with Island Delight from MMS. I gave away about 24 samples today to co-workers to test. Of course, most people don't complain about free stuff.
20210913_205708_2.jpg

Yes, I do! Almost always! I've tried a few different sweeteners over the years. It is said to enhance whatever flavor you use. My wholesale customer wanted sweetener because, as she said, "People like the taste so they lick their lips more often which requires further application, which results in using it up faster and more repeat business!" LOL The one I like best is

ORGANIC STEVIA EXTRACT POWDER

It's a VERY fine powder so it's easier to measure by scoop, not weight. I use the scoop that came with the product. It doesn't have a marking on it, but it's about the same size as a "Smidgen" (smaller than a "Pinch") of my tiny teaspoon set.
Use Rate: 1 scoop per batch that fills 50 standard lip balm tubes (0.15 oz).
I liquify it in one of the liquid oils before combining with the rest of the batch.
Peppermint EO and one with Island Delight from MMS
I was about to recommend MMS Sugar Baby Flavor Oil, but @IrishLass beat me to it! LOL

If you want to save $$$ on supplies, MMS Lip Solutions are great! They now have a Sampler Pkg so you can try them all. My favorite is the VEGAN -- stands up well in the summer heat at farmers markets. :thumbs:

While Peppermint EO is always a best seller, try combining it with MMS Vanilla Banilla Flavor Oil for a "candy cane" taste for the holidays. Orange EO + Vanilla for a Creamsicle flavor. Their Honey Flavor Oil is spot on. I used real honey to sweeten that one.

TIP: To use honey as a sweetener, add it to the batch, then be sure to stir every 15 minutes during the batch 1 hour cool down. Place in the fridge overnight then warm it back up carefully in the morning before pouring into tubes.

Last edited:
I make 4-5 varieties of lip balm; my most popular has been the Cocoa Butter Mint, which uses just a hint of peppermint eo with no sweetener at all. For the others, I use flavour oils from Voyageur and Candora.
Where do you get cocoa butter mint from? Is it pre-sweetened?

Last edited:
Yes. I use one scoop that comes with the container for a 10 oz/284 grams batch of 50 balms. I melt it with some of the oil in the batch to make sure it is fully dissolved before adding it to beeswax, coconut, butters, etc. :thumbs: See Post #5 above.

Yes. I use one scoop that comes with the container for a 10 oz/284 grams batch of 50 balms. I melt it with some of the oil in the batch to make sure it is fully dissolved before adding it to beeswax, coconut, butters, etc. :thumbs: See Post #5 above.
I thought so! Thank you for the response. I'm very new here. That was my first time talking on here😬

I make 4-5 varieties of lip balm; my most popular has been the Cocoa Butter Mint, which uses just a hint of peppermint eo with no sweetener at all. For the others, I use flavour oils from Voyageur and Candora.
I do cocoa mint as well. Cocoa butter with peppermint eo. No sweetener. Its a hit

Latest posts

Back