Liability insurance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csculley

Reaction score
Hello! I've been making soap as a hobby for a little over a year and sell to friends, family, and referrals only. I've been wanting to sell on Etsy or at local fairs/farmers markets, but I've read that I should have liability insurance.

I live in Connecticut and I'm aware that these things probably vary by state, but does anyone know about how much liability insurance costs and what company you might recommend? I'm trying to decide if selling at these types of venues is worth it for me to sell to a larger audience and to have liability insurance with the increased costs. I currently don't charge very much for my soaps, only $5 for a 5-6 oz bar because I can still make a little profit and I make soap because I want people to have quality, sensitive skin soaps at a low cost. I'm not sure that I could nearly keep my costs this low if I got liability insurance.

Thanks in advance!

Check into the Guild, Indie Beauty or WSP. They all offer insurance. As does RLI if you don't sell more than 5,000 per year. I have mine through the Guild.

Hello

I have also been looking into this same thing for our Business and came across this great information to help you get ready for the questions that they may ask you when talking to the insurance company. http://teachsoap.com/2012/04/19/business-insurance/ Take a look it gives some great advice and open my eyes up to some of the issues that can be avoided by selecting the correct coverage.

Todd

Latest posts

Back