Let's Talk 'Fatty Acids'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are using a high percentage of OO as I understand it, and this means that you can throw the FA profile out the window. OO makes a good soap but it doesn't look good in the soap calculators.
I use organic extra virgin OO in my oil blend about 45-48%. I love the smoothness of the soap in contact with the skin and the ability to soften congested or tight epidermis and hydrate it. Fingers do not remain dry after using the soap.

Then I put other quality oils in the composition to balance the combination to obtain INS 160 and to give the soap additional qualities. It is a canonical point of view. I think it is a professional distortion, among other things I am also an old school IT developer.

@NcDon, I don't know which soap calculator you are using, so I might be misunderstanding this one. In all of the calcs I am used to, Lye Concentration refers to the amount of NaOH in the liquid used to dissolve it, not the purity of the NaOH itself. So, a 50% lye concentration would be 50% NaOH and 50% water or other liquid. NaOH needs at minimum an equal amount of liquid (by weight) to dissolve properly.
The lye concentration 99% is the purity of NaOH itself in LyeCalc. For my first batch of soap I used a ratio of water:lye = 2.0684:1 and the soap turned out very well. So I continue with this ratio. If it works, I don't try to fix it.

For my first batch of soap I used a ratio of water:lye = 2.0684:1 and the soap turned out very well. So I continue with this ratio. If it works, I don't try to fix it.
The amount of water is very flexible, as long as you have a minimum amount that equals the weight of the NaOH. Since you have the flexibility, you can make it a lot easier on yourself by using a ratio of 2:1 instead of 2.0684:1. The minute difference between those two amounts is not going to change how well your batch comes together. :)

The amount of water is very flexible, as long as you have a minimum amount that equals the weight of the NaOH. Since you have the flexibility, you can make it a lot easier on yourself by using a ratio of 2:1 instead of 2.0684:1. The minute difference between those two amounts is not going to change how well your batch comes together. :)
I know :), but I like to keep a little magic in this overly rational world.

Latest posts

Back