Let's talk COLORS!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incrtalent

Reaction score
Because talking about this stuff allows me to think that maybe...just MAYBE I'm not the only person on the planet with this particular problem. Then again, it could just make me feel like a hoo-ha; but here goes. (I do M & P for those who don't know). I use a rather odd combination of the liquid soap colors from th Chemistry Store, and color chips from Le Melange. The liquid colors work okay in clear soaps, but you can't seem to get any depth with them for, say cranberry, pomegrante, wine, or fig. So I use the color chips for these soaps. I get a nice deep color with these, but the color comes off on white wash cloths. Not good, even though it does rinse off. Also, sometimes, particles of color float to the top, leaving a mottled or speckeled appearance. If I try to get a rich color in opaque soaps, I have to use quite a bit of liquid color. I can usually adapt a blend of liquid colors in lotions to compliment these soaps, but its tricky. (They don't always have the same appearance in lotion as in soap). And bath salts? The liquid colors are pale and don't give any vibrancy, but I'm terrified of trying to use the FDC colors, because I'm afraid of blending them wrong. (And they're SOOO expensive!)

So I'd love some feedback. Go ahead! Hit me! :wink:

Because the white mp has Titanium Dioxide in it you have to use a concentrated color for mp soap. I always used the liquid. I never had to use more than a few drops to get the color I wanted. My sister uses powered mica which is available in tons of colors. She mixes some with a little soap and then adds to the soap. She makes some of the prettiest mp soap I have ever seen.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/St ... C+No+Bleed

http://www.alternasense.com/id61.htm

justcrafty said:
My sister uses powered mica which is available in tons of colors. She mixes some with a little soap and then adds to the soap.

I also use powdered micas/ultramarines. I mix with glycerin and if I don't shake the crap out of it, I get specks too.

Incrtalent said:
The liquid colors work okay in clear soaps, but you can't seem to get any depth with them for, say cranberry, pomegrante, wine, or fig.

So I'd love some feedback. Go ahead! Hit me! :wink:

In clear or opaque soaps I use liquid colors from cierra. Then lets say i want a dark red to make cranberry, I'll add a small bit of black to the color to darken. It works great and the colors do not come off on a towel. I've also make black colored soap( for my goth friends) and it works awesome! Adding black coloring to any color will darken it considerably so be sure not to add too much.

Good idea about adding black to darken your colors. If the color is coming off on a washcloth it means you've added too much colorant.

Dian

I have a jar of Black pigment/mica and it darkens my colors up great! I mixed it up with liquid glycerin so I'll add it drop by drop. It is VERY easy to get tooooo much black. (I accidently got an amazing blood red/ burgundy once, LOVED it)

Thanks so much to everyone for your feedback! It looks like I need to overcome my fears and step out of this box I've put myself in. It also looks like there's a reason my colors are thin--the colorant I use from the Chemistry Store is thin! The ultramarines from WSP look much more concentrated. I did try a sample pack from Go Planet Earth (these were a mixture of "soap paints" and "soap colorants" in small pots, but I did not care for these that much and was really uncertain, (as they did not come with any suggestions or directions) of how, exactly to use them. I'll try the suggestions you guys have posted. The one question I do have is how much to use of these types of pigments, (either the liquid or the micas). Do you just have to experiment? I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Back