Quantcast

Lets talk about Vitamin E Oil!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

justin1287

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a 2 oz salve. The main ingredients are 8 parts coconut oil to 1 part beeswax. I am trying to figure out how much vitamin E oil to add. When I find info on Vitamin E oil, the never specify the IU's. I think I want to use 70,000 IU's because I want as little filler from the Vitamin E as possible. I was thinking 10 drops of 70,000 IU Vitamin E oil for every 2 oz of salve would be about right. Any ideas?

I would love to learn more about this. If anyone has any info then please let me know. I love reading, so please don't be shy!

soapswirl

Reaction score
What do you mean IUs?
I typically use vitamin E around 0.5-1% in an oil based product. I would also suggest measuring in grams rather than drops so you know exactly how much you have used and can reliably reproduce your recipe.

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
Based on my research, there is a difference between the dietary vitamin E (γ-tocopherol & a-tocopherol) and that which is commonly used in the cosmetic industry (usually Tocopheryl Acetate).
I believe that IU's as a unit of measurement mainly applies to supplements that are going to be taken/injected internally and not to products that are going to be applied externally for cosmetic purposes.

That aside, in terms of usage, I agree with Soapswirl that .5-1% is a good usage recommendation.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What do you mean IUs?
IU's stand for International Units, the primary unit of measurement of vitamin E found in foods and dietary supplements, which a measures biologic activity instead of 'quantity' (source: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-HealthProfessional/ This tells me that Justin is most likely using dietary vitamin E capsules.

Justin, instead of capsules, most of us that make lotions, balms and salves usually use something like Vitamin E T-50, which is a natural source of E with mixed tocopherols. It's what I use in all my lotions, and balms. I use it at a rate of .5% or 1% of my formula (by weight). I buy mine online from Lotioncrafters, but there are other online vendors that sell it.

Since IUs are only a measurement biologic activity, I honestly wouldn't know how much of the capsules to use that would be equivalent to the weight of T-50 that I use.

IrishLass :)

justin1287

Reaction score
I have a liquid at my house. I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks a bunch for clearing this up for me!