Let's play Good News / Bad News

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad News: A glitch of some sort prevented me from completing an order for some Fragrance Oils (the glitch was with website itself is my guess). The link between their site and Paypal was not properly communicating, so I tried twice & was worried that either it didn't go through & I missed out on the sale, OR it did go through and I sent a double order. But since it didn't show up on either site as having been completed, I emailed to find out. It simply did not go through.

Good News: I saved $114.94. So even though the sale is over & I decided not to send the order now, I haven't really lost out. I don't need 4 more pounds of Fragrance Oils right now anyway.

Good news, my mum is coming to visit today and we'll have almost a week together to hang out and do soapy/crafty stuff and generally be on holiday. Even the weather is meant to improve!
Bad news, my mum is coming to visit today and the house is only half cleaned, the bathroom is still partly being used as a storage area, and all my soapy supplies need reorganising, tidying, and cataloguing so I don't spend the week running around trying to find things 🤦‍♀️

Good news, my mum is coming to visit today and we'll have almost a week together to hang out and do soapy/crafty stuff and generally be on holiday. Even the weather is meant to improve!
Bad news, my mum is coming to visit today and the house is only half cleaned, the bathroom is still partly being used as a storage area, and all my soapy supplies need reorganising, tidying, and cataloguing so I don't spend the week running around trying to find things 🤦‍♀️
Enjoy your time with your mum! i love that she will make soap with you.

How FUN!!!
In the end we know Mum won't care and might likely get a chuckle on the insidewatching you running around trying to finds things - even if she didn't show it on the outside. 🙃 But, yeah, I'd be tidying like a little banshee too.

I am wearing a brace/splint again. First broken bone in my life: 5th metacarpal, right hand. It happened when I fell upstairs the morning my new refrigerator was delivered. And, yes, it is my surgical hand and the surgical hand finger.

Below is the xray of my hand and a stock photo of the brace/splint I am now wearing:

1626462678064.png1626462955828.png

I see a bad mood in my foreseeable future. This darn thing is so hot & uncomfortable. And quite restrictive, although it really does protect the finger, which when bumped (which seems to happen way more often than one would think) at least I don't feel excruciating pain. I can remove for washing up, but it is really really really difficult to get on and off, so I just may not be washing up as much as usual for a few days. And sleeping in this thing is really uncomfortable. It woke me up during the night last night. I don't even remember waking up because of the cast I wore in April.

I go back in 2 weeks for follow up. I may or may not need to have more surgery on this hand. I won't be telling the Humira people about it, though if I do. They'd be keeping me on the phone for an hour asking me all kinds of stupid questions and then call be back for another 45 minutes to ask the same ones all over again because someone didn't take good enough notes! That happened because I reported that I had to skip a dose for my surgery (per Dr orders) and they asked the most ridiculous questions like, did I beleive the Humira caused the ganglion cyst that had to be surgically removed or the skiier's thumb injury and blah blah blah, the gangrene I NEVER TOLD THEM they think I told them I had, GAWDAWFUL note taking on someone's part! I ended up telling them I do NOT want them to telephone me again, that they can send me an email & I will fill out forms online. I can read better than I can hear (when they don't speak clearly & succinctly) and I certainly hope they can read better than they can takes notes when I speak, because clearly the first guy did did not so well the first time.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since this thread was used, but today I had a very upsetting hour as a result of some 'system error' at Amazon.

I received an email dated yesterday that they have charged me again for something I sent back to them in December 2021, which was not what I had bought & paid for on Dec. 3, 2021. What I ordered was not what was delivered, so I contacted them immediately (took photos of course) and was sent a replacement immediately. I returned the incorrect item (a smaller sized tablet of lesser value and less features, etc.) which had been delivered on Dec 5. The replacement item was delivered to me on Dec. 7, so very prompt service. I was very happy with the prompt service, at that time.

The UPS guy was a pain, showed up but was angry I had not left the package (unattended) on my porch, but had to chase him into the street to give it to him. Told him 'No way I'm leaving such an expensive item unattended on the doorstep'. I was told by the Amazon representative I had spoken with on the phone to schedule the return that UPS would let me know upon arrival because I was not comfortable leaving something so expensive unattended on my doorstep. He didn't; I was just paying attention and saw him leaving my property.

Because of that interaction, I tracked the package to be sure it was returned and therefore I kept a digital copy of the Proof of Delivery on my computer. The return was delivered to them on Dec. 9, 2021. Thankfully I have that.

Well, first I called and spoke with a woman who didn't share all the information Amazon has on this purchase, return and replacement and double charge issue. She asked if I had a receipt from the UPS guy and then also told me the order is too old to find information so she was submitting it for investigation. But when she asked me for the order number I gave her the replacement order number, not the original order number, which I only realized after we were off the phone. So I called back and spoke to someone else. The second lady told me more information. She told me they did have that information, including the tracking number of the return, which the first lady said they did not have. But she did not tell me they had a copy of the Proof of Delivery. So after we got off the phone and found that I do have a digital copy of the Proof of Delivery, I called back yet again and spoke to a 3rd CSR. Well, when I asked if I should email them a copy of the Proof of Delivery of the return that I have from UPS, he told me they already had that, too! So I asked, then why was a charged again for the purchase I already paid for over 6 months ago and he said it was probably a system error.

OMG, it was like pulling teeth! Anyway, I am much more confident that my additional charge will be refunded to me, now that I know they have all that information. No one on the phone ever actually challenged that I had sent the return, but that email saying they were charging me again claiming I had not returned the item was really upsetting because, hey it's a lot of money and UPS provided me with proof of delivery!

And would they have refunded my money if I had not contacted them? Of course not. So how could the system make this error when all the information is already in the system in the first place? So frustrating, and yet another example of why it is so important to keep a close eye on all things financial, including reading emails in a timely way in order to catch these kinds of things, frustrating though they may be.

Just goes to show you to
It's been a long time since this thread was used, but today I had a very upsetting hour as a result of some 'system error' at Amazon.

I received an email dated yesterday that they have charged me again for something I sent back to them in December 2021, which was not what I had bought & paid for on Dec. 3, 2021. What I ordered was not what was delivered, so I contacted them immediately (took photos of course) and was sent a replacement immediately. I returned the incorrect item (a smaller sized tablet of lesser value and less features, etc.) which had been delivered on Dec 5. The replacement item was delivered to me on Dec. 7, so very prompt service. I was very happy with the prompt service, at that time.

The UPS guy was a pain, showed up but was angry I had not left the package (unattended) on my porch, but had to chase him into the street to give it to him. Told him 'No way I'm leaving such an expensive item unattended on the doorstep'. I was told by the Amazon representative I had spoken with on the phone to schedule the return that UPS would let me know upon arrival because I was not comfortable leaving something so expensive unattended on my doorstep. He didn't; I was just paying attention and saw him leaving my property.

Because of that interaction, I tracked the package to be sure it was returned and therefore I kept a digital copy of the Proof of Delivery on my computer. The return was delivered to them on Dec. 9, 2021. Thankfully I have that.

Well, first I called and spoke with a woman who didn't share all the information Amazon has on this purchase, return and replacement and double charge issue. She asked if I had a receipt from the UPS guy and then also told me the order is too old to find information so she was submitting it for investigation. But when she asked me for the order number I gave her the replacement order number, not the original order number, which I only realized after we were off the phone. So I called back and spoke to someone else. The second lady told me more information. She told me they did have that information, including the tracking number of the return, which the first lady said they did not have. But she did not tell me they had a copy of the Proof of Delivery. So after we got off the phone and found that I do have a digital copy of the Proof of Delivery, I called back yet again and spoke to a 3rd CSR. Well, when I asked if I should email them a copy of the Proof of Delivery of the return that I have from UPS, he told me they already had that, too! So I asked, then why was a charged again for the purchase I already paid for over 6 months ago and he said it was probably a system error.

OMG, it was like pulling teeth! Anyway, I am much more confident that my additional charge will be refunded to me, now that I know they have all that information. No one on the phone ever actually challenged that I had sent the return, but that email saying they were charging me again claiming I had not returned the item was really upsetting because, hey it's a lot of money and UPS provided me with proof of delivery!

And would they have refunded my money if I had not contacted them? Of course not. So how could the system make this error when all the information is already in the system in the first place? So frustrating, and yet another example of why it is so important to keep a close eye on all things financial, including reading emails in a timely way in order to catch these kinds of things, frustrating though they may be.
keep all these receipts. So glad you did. And sorry this happened to you.

Just goes to show you to

keep all these receipts. So glad you did. And sorry this happened to you.
As it happens, I got an email before the end of the day yesterday that the money has been refunded. I just checked the CC to which it was charged, and it doesn't show yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on that card. Hopefully it will be posted in a day or two. I was actually thinking of filing a dispute over that charge, but if it gets credited back in a day or two, I won't have to bother.

So that is Good News.

Other good news/bad news. Plumbing at my son's house (we own it) has had sluggish drain in kitchen sink. I've put weak lye solution down the drain a couple of times, which helps temporarily, and Hubby has cleaned out the P-trap a couple of times. But it keeps getting sluggish again. Something must be lower in the drain, says Hubby, so the plumber is over there this morning. He had to cut into the wall on the other side, luckily a room not used for much, but the wall will need to be repaired & re-painted after this. Hubby just went over there to talk to the plumber & ask that he install an access panel on that wall. If we're lucky he can repair sufficiently to prevent this recurring problem. We are hoping it is not going to require cutting into the wall in the basement to gain access to the crawl space (partial basement has a wall covering access to the crawl space where the pipes to the kitchen are not visible to use because of that wall.)

Hubby actually wants to knock out that wall, enlarge the kitchen and make a bathroom in that room to be bigger than the one just across the hall (it is very tiny and cramped.) I hope he doesn't start talking to the plumber about that because when he does stuff like that, the workers don't finish everything and I'm left with living with unfinished parts of the house because the worker thinks he's going to act on these "wants" very soon. There is a section of floor from the back hallway into my laundry room that did not tiled because Hubby had all these "future plans" for renovating the laundry room. That's never going to happen, but I still have to cover this section of floor with throw rugs so I don't have to look at it.

Most of my Amazon returns have been done through Kohl's...drop it off, get a receipt, my [amazon] account is credited the next day. But one time I needed to return a purchase via UPS. It turned out that none of our UPS places in town were 'authorized' so my quick drop off on the way to work turned into a half day adventure. So it gets dropped and...I wait and I wait and I wait. It took almost two weeks for the item to be actually returned and then another week for the credit to show on my [amazon] account.

And I keep saying 'amazon account' because that is where the refund goes to.

Most of my Amazon returns go to Whole Foods, but I had one yesterday that went to the UPS store. I was in and out in less than 30 seconds. But it does seem to take them longer to credit returns, whereas the returns to Whole Foods show immediately in my account (of course, because they are owned by Amazon).

Since that experience with the UPS driver, I also drop off locally. As long as we have a UPS drop-off site in our tiny little town (we apparently have 2 or 3, but I've only been to one of them once for UPS drop-off) I will continue to do it that way (unless I am traveling and that's another whole problem when returns are necessary by a certain date.)

I ordered a couple of things to use while traveling in Italy that I would have returned if I could have, but I was unable to access my Amazon account at all while out of the country. I suppose that makes for a secure site, in that no one overseas could access my account and run up a huge bill, but it was annoying when I had thought, well I am at this address for a full week, I can order a replacement whatever and possibly return the items that did not meet my standards.

Gecko, when you say your refunds go back to your Amazon account, do you mean onto a gift card as credit, or to do you also have an Amazon credit card and they go back to it as credit?

I have had refunds get credited to a gift card, which I don't like because usually those gift cards were given to someone else & I worry that they will use the card (if they still even have it.) Apparently there is an option to choose how the refund will come, but I don't recall seeing an option each time I have requested a refund (link). And since this took place over the telephone, I really have no idea if they assumed where to credit the refund, as I don't think I was asked. It has not showed up on any gift card associated with my account, so I am assuming it will go back to my credit card.

Most of my Amazon returns go to Whole Foods, but I had one yesterday that went to the UPS store. I was in and out in less than 30 seconds. But it does seem to take them longer to credit returns, whereas the returns to Whole Foods show immediately in my account (of course, because they are owned by Amazon).
You're lucky, my closest Whole Foods is about 1 1/2 hours away. Even my UPS store is about 20 minutes away. Since we moved, everything seems to be far.

Gecko, when you say your refunds go back to your Amazon account, do you mean onto a gift card as credit, or to do you also have an Amazon credit card and they go back to it as credit?

I have two bank accounts (debit VISA) and an Amazon VISA and regardless of which account I use, the refund goes to my Amazon account as a ‘gift card’ than back to the bank account or credit card.

It’s kind of annoying, but not a huge deal in the long one since I have monthly orders for cat food and coffee

Good News: I had weight loss surgery back in April and have been losing tons of weight that I needed desperatly to lose.

Bad News: During surgery they burst the artery to my spleen. So... now I have no spleen. #spleenless

Back