Let’s Talk Soap Dough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolesica

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve searched the forum but haven’t found the answers I’m looking for.
1. Does soap dough stay pliable if wrapped in Saran Wrap, say if you wanted to make a large batch to use later, or do you have to make it batch by batch?

2. Does anyone have videos or websites they can direct me to? I am finally going to take the plunge and try this soap dough thing

I haven't used soap dough myself, but one source I've seen recommended a lot is Bee Iyata at sorcerysoaps.com. Here is a free recipe on her website, but she also sells ebooks with other recipes and lots more information about making and storing:
https://sorcerysoaps.com/blogs/soap-dough-recipe/free-soap-dough-recipeI believe she also has a YouTube channel.

Plus, Lisa at I Dream In Soap has this on YouTube:

I'm sure there are lots more videos out there.

I haven't used soap dough myself, but one source I've seen recommended a lot is Bee Iyata at sorcerysoaps.com. Here is a free recipe on her website, but she also sells ebooks with other recipes and lots more information about making and storing:
https://sorcerysoaps.com/blogs/soap-dough-recipe/free-soap-dough-recipeI believe she also has a YouTube channel.

Plus, Lisa at I Dream In Soap has this on YouTube:

I'm sure there are lots more videos out there.

Thank you!

I buy mine from sorcery soap. Frankly, it's just easier and her colors are perfect. Wrap them in cling wrap and then put the wrapped dough in a zip lock bag that you've removed as much air from as you can. Personal experience, it's the best idea.

Why do you need a separate recipe for soap dough? When I've wanted soap dough, I've just taken soap batter and poured it, then when it was firm enough to handle, I've wrapped it in plastic wrap. I make a lot of different recipes--unless it's a brine bar or salt bar, it doesn't really make much difference which recipe I use.

Basic question I've wanted to asked for a while: how easy/hard is it to melt soap dough down? For example if I want to combine two different soaps completely without making design, layers, or confetti like others do on purpose.

Last edited:
Basic question I've wanted to asked for a while: how easy/hard is it to melt soap dough down? For example if I want to combine two different soaps completely without making layers or confetti like others do on purpose.
Are you talking about rebatching soaps that have soap dough embeds?

Simply melting 2 different batches of soap dough to form one. Apologies if it's a silly question, especially since I've never made soap dough! I probably should make some to get a feel for it.
Soap dough is kind of like clay. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trying to melt it, and I don't know if that would affect the texture of it, but I suspect it might. I can't really think of a reason to melt two together other than maybe for color? You can just mash two different colors together to create a blend - although it does take some work to do that.

Soap dough is kind of like clay. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trying to melt it, and I don't know if that would affect the texture of it, but I suspect it might. I can't really think of a reason to melt two together other than maybe for color? You can just mash two different colors together to create a blend - although it does take some work to do that.

For me it would be to quickly compare performance between two soaps (specifically shave soaps) with different fats or ratios without wasting too many ingredients. Example-comparing a base recipe combined with 50% lard soap to base recipe combined with 50% chicken fat soap to base recipe + 50% beef tallow soap. I don't wanna derail too far, heck I've been wanting to conduct an experiment for some time now.

For me it would be to quickly compare performance between two soaps (specifically shave soaps) with different fats or ratios without wasting too many ingredients. Example-comparing a base recipe combined with 50% lard soap to base recipe combined with 50% chicken fat soap to base recipe + 50% beef tallow soap. I don't wanna derail too far, heck I've been wanting to conduct an experiment for some time now.
I see. I'm sorry I can't help with that idea. Maybe someone else would have a suggestion. I don't have any soap dough at the moment, so I can't even offer to experiment for you.

Why do you need a separate recipe for soap dough? When I've wanted soap dough, I've just taken soap batter and poured it, then when it was firm enough to handle, I've wrapped it in plastic wrap. I make a lot of different recipes--unless it's a brine bar or salt bar, it doesn't really make much difference which recipe I use.
@Carly B Ive only made a couple of soap doughs, but I learned today that theyre not all the same! I made a soap this week that included deer tallow and WOW! that stuff hardens up FAST. Trying to make soap dough the next day was a challenge. I’d be making a BEEline to try out Sorcery Soaps soap dough if shipping and Canadian exchange rate weren't so prohibitive!

I have made soap dough. Once I pour it I let it saponify a bit then cover it with plastic wrap. Next day it is pliable. I have kneaded two colours together to come up with a different colour but not two different recipes. I then wrap it up in plastic wrap and put in a zippy bag and it stays pliable for a very long time. You just need to start kneading it again. I usually sit in front of TV and extrude tiny strings to make soap dough sprinkles.

Attachments

• Soap dough.JPG
    Soap dough.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 0
I have made soap dough. Once I pour it I let it saponify a bit then cover it with plastic wrap. Next day it is pliable. I have kneaded two colours together to come up with a different colour but not two different recipes. I then wrap it up in plastic wrap and put in a zippy bag and it stays pliable for a very long time. You just need to start kneading it again. I usually sit in front of TV and extrude tiny strings to make soap dough sprinkles.
Thank you!

Back