Lesson in RESPECT for LYE!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadiebugs1

Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you all my stupidity......

I never wear gloves when making soap, but I do wear safety goggles, but tonight I learned a little (BIG) lesson....

I was removing soap from the mold and cutting tonight--Soap I poured last night (a little less than 24 hours or so ago) and wasn't wearing gloves....never do. But tonight I got a little lazy....I was feeling tired so I kinda worked at it a little, took a little break at the puter, went back and did some more....you know, not in any big hurry....

Well, the last of the 3 loaves (Strawberry Champagne, looks and smells pretty darn good so far!) I cut it up, took some pictures...whatever, but didn't clean up my mess and left the soap sitting there on the counter. Anywho, a bit later I'm like "oh yeah, better get that soap on the drying rack and into the back room" so I do......THEN I come back to the puter, completely forgetting to wash my hands (they're already pretty sore from "trying" the shavings from the lard soap I cut up earlier to see how they lathered! :roll: ) Sooo....I'm sitting here, take off my glasses ('cause I'm tired ya see.....) and RUB MY EYES! ooooouuuuucccchhhh!!!!! BURN! Now I'm feeling like a complete idiot realizing the whole time I've been getting pretty slack in my respect for the LYE, washing my hands while my eye is burning like hell, then slopping handfuls of water into my eye (well TRYING to anyway! lol!) Thinking "vinegar!" so I'm bumbling around trying to get a clean container to mix some vinegar and water into to wash my eye out....hoping the whole time I don't have to go to the hospital and get my eye removed and having to wear an eyepatch and how would that look to customers, blah blah blah a million "I'm an idiot" thoughts running through my head....

But for any of you concerned for my well being :) .....the vinegar and water seem to solve the problem, had blurry vision for like 10 minutes but all seems fine now....

I HAVE BEEN SO HUMBLED AND HAVE LEARNED A GREAT LESSON.....
"NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!" :roll:

Now you can give me hell, I deserve it! :twisted:

Oh Sharon, so happy you took care of yourself so fast. :) I keep a bottle of vinegar on my soap table. Never had to use it yet, but it is a comfort knowing it is at arms reach. Main thing is you are OK, and doing better. Thanks for sharing how even us with a bit of experience, there is never any reason to slack off using safety equipment. :wink:

Paul

Oh WOW I am glad you are ok! Goodness that would be scary! Um...do you have the whole "incident" on video? Cuz I think you would be a hit on YouTube :) Just kiddin!

BE SAFE

Your new nickname is LYE EYE :shock:

Thanks for warning us again. As you know from experience
we can never be warned enough. Thankfully, I have never
had that happen.

Thanks for posting the reminder. It is easy to forget to be cautious when you do something all the time.

OOOOhhh, dragon....you DO crack me up, I'm so glad you're here. :oops: Had my daughter not just gone to bed...I'd have said "grab the camera! I want to show the world what an idiot I am!"

Seriously though, I DID learn my lesson...I was getting very slack....even have taken off the goggles after mixing the lye to later pour it into the oils without them on..... Imagine what would have happened had that lye/water splattered into my eye at that point?????? Ugh!

Thanks all for your concern, and I did post this kinda as a little reminder for others (if there ARE any-maybe i'm the only one with the burnt out light bulb!) that might be getting too 'relaxed' with the respect for the lye!

Oh, I DO LOVE my new nickname, dragon!
Thanks for letting me share,
LYE EYE!

Jadie,

Im sorry you learned that the hard way and I'm glad you are all right. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

DP as usuall you crack me up. I'm so very glad you are here I need a
good LOL sometimes. Thanks to both of you.

:shock: Holy Sh**&&^t!!!!

Thanks for posting. I'm sooooooo glad your blurry sight returned to normal!

I'm really glad your okay sweety that re-affirms my thinking that I'm not doing cp until I know I'm going to be careful and wear safety gear! I still want to learn just going to take my time. Very glad your okay.

Latest posts

Back