Lemongrass Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All Natural

Reaction score
I have just discovered there are two types of Lemongrass oil;

1) Cymbopogon flexosus, sometimes called Cochin grass or Malabar grass

2) Cymbopogon Citratus

The scent descriptions are similar, as is cost so just wondering if anyone has had more luck with one type over the other with scent lasting.

I have the first type and use it in a blend at 1.5% but have never kept any in stock longer than 4 months. At that point scent was good but wondering if the other type is any better.

Last edited:
I usually get my lemongrass EO from Bulk Apothecary. They use Cymbopogon flexuosus, according to their website.

I have bars that are 3 years old that still have lots of lovely scent. I use the 0.5 oz PPO ratio.

I usually get my lemongrass EO from Bulk Apothecary. They use Cymbopogon flexuosus, according to their website.

I have bars that are 3 years old that still have lots of lovely scent. I use the 0.5 oz PPO ratio.

Thanks Susie, I think that works out about the same amount of EO I use. Nice to know they can last 3 years, if they hang about long enough. 🙂

My lemongrass sticks really well too. The last time I bought it was several years ago from WSP on sale. Theirs is Cymbopogon Schoenanthus according to their site.
Oooh, another species. Not come accross that one 🙂 Thanks for your reply Shunt. So far it sounds as though they're pretty similar.

Latest posts

Back