Lemongrass EO Cedarwood Sage EO FO blend might be culprits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLynnbaker31

Reaction score
Added 1oz Lemongrass EO and .5oz Cedarwood Sage EO and FO blend to 65oz oil and lye base with 2tsp sodium lactate, wasn't even close to trace, and within seconds the batch turned into playdough. Mixed both water and lye at exactly 109 degrees. Have used Lavender EO and the same Cedarwood sage blend before with no problems. I worked fast but my "frosting" in the mold will probably be called "Wholly Soap" after 24hrs.
thx,
Jeff

From SoapGoods. Use the same with Yiang Yiang from Crafters Chioce and it came out perfect. I had two oz of Hazelnut in the mix but besides that was just Avacado, coconut oil, palm oil and shea.

Good to know, I used it before and while it was somewhat quick, this happened immediately. Any advice on if it can be slowed down?
thx

Soap very cold, only stick blend to emulsion, then stir in the cedar wood. Don't even attempt to stick blend anything after the cedar is added, so add your color first. If you have to, separate your batter and scent them separately after adding color. If you are at anything more than the lightest trace I wouldn't stick blend even the color for fear of getting true trace before adding the cedar.

OK Dorymae, thanks for the advice, take two worked out fantastic! I appreciate your help. I'll post a take one and take two pics. when I get them both cut.

Back