Lemon Zest/Rind and other additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning fellow soapies! I'm looking to experiment with lemon zest additives for M/P soap toppings, and am wondering if lemon zest/rind discolours or molds? Have you had any look with other food additives? So far I've experimented with dried coconut, and this has worked well for me! x

Hello!

I have used lemon zest on top and in soap. In both cases the zest did turn brown. I only did small 2 bar test batches, so they were used up too fast to say if they would have molded...

Curious: Did you find that the dried coconut became crunchy? I ask because I just spied some coconut flakes in the freezer.

Hello!

I have used lemon zest on top and in soap. In both cases the zest did turn brown. I only did small 2 bar test batches, so they were used up too fast to say if they would have molded...

Curious: Did you find that the dried coconut became crunchy? I ask because I just spied some coconut flakes in the freezer.

Hi there! Did you happen to use fresh or dried lemon zest?

I have seen people use lemon zest in glycerin soap bars, and it retain its brightness. I'm wondering if the air causes the zest to oxidise, if used as a topping instead?

Not super crunchy but quite firm. I did use desicated coconut flakes though. Over a few months, they had a slight yellow/brown tinge.. but I would say they aged quite well in comparison to other additives I've used.

Back