Lemon candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandy

Reaction score
Lemon candles

tvs3918.jpg

The soft light and sweet aroma of candles always make a room more inviting. To make your own naturally scented votive candles from hollowed-out lemon skins and beeswax, follow this technique. When pouring the wax, make sure it’s at just the right temperature (180°): If it’s too hot it will draw all the moisture from the lemon, but if it’s too cold it won’t cool and set well. These candles are best used within a day or two of making them.

TECHNIQUE
Makes 24 candles
1 dozen lemons
1 pound beeswax
1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
Wicks

1. Cut the lemons lengthwise. Squeeze out as much of the juice as possible without tearing the skin. Hollow out the lemon halves with a melon baller.

2. In a double boiler, heat beeswax until melted, about 180°. Check temperature with a candy thermometer. Turn off the heat, and add lemon oil.

3. Cut 3 inches of wick; tie a knot at one end. Thread the loose end through a wick holder, and pull so the knot is secure under the holder.

4. Dip the wick and holder with wax until coated; this will stiffen and straighten the wick. Press the wick holder into the bottom of the lemon half to affix. Let the wick dry.

5. Pour the wax into the lemon half, and fill to the edge. Use a small paintbrush to coat the rim of the lemon with wax. Let the candle dry for about 4 hours.

Source: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... tid=cat271

Thanks Mandy ,
I think I have to try this out. It sounds very very nice.I have about 50 pounds of beeswax to use and I don't make candles , yet.lol

Kitn

Back