Lehman's Lye--Review so far

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
I purchased the 10# jug of lye from Lehman's and I've used it twice. Here are my thoughts:

First: 10# in a small mouth jug is just too unwieldy! No problem--poured some into a Belle Chemical bottle I had saved.
Second: Very low to no airborne particles when pouring lye from the storage container to the measuring container. This was my primary concern when I was using the Belle Chemicals lye.
Third: This lye is incredibly hydrophilic. It just starts pulling in water from the air immediately. That's not a problem since I mixed my lye solution right away, but the lye wanted to stick to the container I had measured it into as if the container had been damp.

Observation: the particles are larger than other lyes I have used.

My soaps turned out of the molds just fine, so we'll see what they're like after 4 weeks.

I will definitely purchase this again. The airborne particles were a great concern to me and the reason I sought lye options.

Shipping was fast and for the weight, very reasonable.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/sodium-hydroxide-for-soapmaking/

$9.99 for for shipping 10# seemed like a great deal to me compared to some of the others. Prompt delivery too.

Back