Leftover Soap Slivers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyahK

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
What are some uses for leftover soap pieces/slivers? I googled it but want to hear what you guys do. :)
I have heard of them being made into liquid soap... opinions/experience with that?
Thanks! :)

I have heard of them being made into liquid soap... opinions/experience with that?
It won't work. The most you would get is a snotty consistency that will eventually solidify again.

A lot of people use their slivers to make a confetti soap (lots of examples here on the forum)
Or they give them away as samples for people to try, use a drawer sachets, closet deodorizers, etc.,
Lots of uses for those slivers.

^ what @jcandleattic said. Also, rebatching soap is an option, especially if you like to donate soap to shelters. Oven rebatching is my new fave - so much easier than using the crockpot or turkey roaster!

If it's leftover from cutting a loaf into bars, I'm with the others -- confetti or rebatch are good choices if you don't mind saving bits and pieces for awhile. I don't care to do that anymore, so here's my preference --

If the soap is fairly fresh so it's still soft, I'll smoosh trimmings and smaller leftovers into a hamburger bun shape and let the "bun" cure along with the rest of the bar soap. I will use it at the sink for hand washing. If the leftovers are too thick to press together, you can grate them or chop them into smaller pieces that will smoosh better. You can also lightly spritz the trimmings with some water to help the soap stick together.

If you're talking about those slivers of soap in the shower (it wasn't clear from the context of your post), I don't use these pieces in new soap. I will stick the old sliver to a fresh bar of soap after either the sliver or the fresh bar is wet from me taking my shower. When the pieces dry, they're usually stuck firmly together.

Some of used ends get the same treatment as DeeAnna's, the particularly nice ones will get bundled together and made into a felted soap one I have enough accumulated.

Trimmings and shavings are tending to get made into soap dough these days.

Thank you everyone for your replies!
I was talking about the soap scraps you get when you cut the soap, for clarification.
I will check out JerseyGirl's post- thank you!
Thanks again for all the great ideas everyone!

Thank you everyone for your replies!
I was talking about the soap scraps you get when you cut the soap, for clarification.
I will check out JerseyGirl's post- thank you!
Thanks again for all the great ideas everyone!
I recently used a lot of those (the end pieces) in a slab mold soap project. I cut them in half to make a square, smaller than the final bar and layered them between raw batter to make a “surprise soap” my husband had suggested. The idea is that as you use the soap, those pieces of color will start showing up (I left the main soap uncolored). Like a surprise As they can’t be seen initially.

Back