Leaving Soap in the Fridge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melstan775

Reaction score
My soap tonight got warm very quickly, and I really don't want gel, so I threw it in the freezer for an hour and now it's in the fridge. It's already very thick, in a very soft "spongy" stage, but it's definitely cold. Do I really have to leave it in the fridge overnight or can I leave it out on the counter to finish saponifying?

I can only say that from my experience letting it sit out overnight is ok. I usually freeze mine for an hour & 1/2 then transfer to the fridge for an hour or two. I've never had soap reheat after that. Keep it in a cool spot though. This method works well with small batches (2 1/2 lb) :) hope that helps!

Sounds perfect, it's about that size! How long would you say after you take it out does it take to finish saponifying?

It generally takes another day or so for it to harden up enough to even think about taking it out of the mold. So be patient ;)

I can only say that from my experience letting it sit out overnight is ok. I usually freeze mine for an hour & 1/2 then transfer to the fridge for an hour or two. I've never had soap reheat after that. Keep it in a cool spot though. This method works well with small batches (2 1/2 lb) :) hope that helps!

I do the exact same but with a 4 Lb loaf. So far it's worked every time. But To my knowledge I haven't soaped with Fo's or additives that "over heat".And being careful not to soap at too high temp helps also.

I have started using the freezer for two hours and then putting it outside in the cold over night, but now that it's warming up (relatively speaking—it is still 35 degrees out), I may switch to the fridge.

In other words, I haven't found you have to leave it in the freezer the whole time.

I checked it this morning and it's still really soft. I'm worried I did t put enough lye water in it. I spilled some of my oils, I estimated 2-3 oz so I "eyeballed" two ounces of lyewater to not add to the mix. I figured worse to worse it won't set up but I admit I'll be disappointed if it doesn't.

I hope your soap works out okay, Mel. I hate when something messes up like spilling oils, or forgetting to add something...

my new rule is to write down ingredient and weight immediately after I take it off the scale.

I hope your soap works out okay, Mel. I hate when something messes up like spilling oils, or forgetting to add something...

Oh, I like that rule... the only thing is that I have taken things off the scale and put them aside and forgotten to add them (like FO). I hope I don't do something like that when I start working with CP recipes, but being honest with myself, I likely will!

I usually put everything in a line now... if I'm separating out part of the batch for coloring and my FO or EO discolors, I put the big bowl next to my mixing bowl so I remember to separate the batch first.. then next is my FO/EO, then my cup(s) of color (if multiple) etc and so on. This way I'm less likely to forget but sometimes I still do. It's called being a scatterbrain lol.

my new rule is to write down ingredient and weight immediately after I take it off the scale.

Yeah I kew what the weight was, but the problem is the oils were already mixed, I had no idea what percentages of what spilled. doesn't that affect lye values?

I usually put everything in a line now... if I'm separating out part of the batch for coloring and my FO or EO discolors, I put the big bowl next to my mixing bowl so I remember to separate the batch first.. then next is my FO/EO, then my cup(s) of color (if multiple) etc and so on. This way I'm less likely to forget but sometimes I still do. It's called being a scatterbrain lol.

I like that idea of lining things up so you don't forget them, and I know nothing about being scatterbrained ;-)

I just looked at it, it's slightly firmer then this morning.... I got the ick soap taste but nor really zap.... we'll have to see again when it's been 24 hours but I bet I have to wait until tomorrow before I can cut it. I wonder if I can rebatch it if it doesn't set up solid.

I just looked at it, it's slightly firmer then this morning.... I got the ick soap taste but nor really zap.... we'll have to see again when it's been 24 hours but I bet I have to wait until tomorrow before I can cut it. I wonder if I can rebatch it if it doesn't set up solid.
It should be ok, mine are usually like this too when I prevent gel. Cant wait to see pics!

I cut the lye a little bit, but maybe too much. We'll have to see. One more day. I am so impatient! :D Smells good though. :D

I can only say that from my experience letting it sit out overnight is ok. I usually freeze mine for an hour & 1/2 then transfer to the fridge for an hour or two. I've never had soap reheat after that.

As long as you have a well behaved FO. I had a batch still partially gel and I left it in the frig for a couple of days. Darn florals! :problem:

Better to under lye than over lye lol! Im sooo impatiet too, my poor soap loaves probably feel harassed with my constant hovering :angel:

you're like a mother hen with your soaps, lol. This one is a bit soft, It's been 24 hours and it's still soft, if it doesn't set up by morning I will probably leave it til I find a crock po to sacrifice to the Cause of Soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back