Leave On vs Wash Off Percentages Question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
I just got an order of FO's from WSP, and I noticed that it was fairly consistent to use a lower percentage of the FO in wash off products (ie soap & body wash) than in the leave on (Lotion & Perfume). I would have thought that it would be just the opposite, so I'm curious on why, especially when it takes a goodly amount for a scent trace to be left from wash off products.

A couple of examples...
Dragons Blood
Soap & Body Wash 8.6%
Lotion & Perfume 35.5%

Margarita Lime
Soap & Body Wash 31.2%
Perfume & Lotion 100%

To be perfectly honest, I haven't bothered to check the FO's from the other companies I've ordered from, so don't know if it's just WSP or this is a common thing.

KristaMarie

Reaction score
That makes no sense to me! I don't use FOs, but even on EOs I feel like the recommended concentrations for SOME are weirdly low. I put lavender oil on my skin neat and I know not everyone can do that, but I also know that anyone who isn't allergic to lavender can probably handle more than 5% in soap.
I'm sure that 100% Margarita Lime lotion would be lovely. Lol

jblaney

Reaction score
I have been asking this for years now and have never gotten an answer. The only thing that I can think of is soap goes everywhere on your body and gets into sensitive private areas, whereas lotion or perfume won't get into the same areas. That's the only thing I have come up with that would make any sense to me.

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
I have been asking this for years now and have never gotten an answer. The only thing that I can think of is soap goes everywhere on your body and gets into sensitive private areas, whereas lotion or perfume won't get into the same areas. That's the only thing I have come up with that would make any sense to me.
That makes no sense to me! I don't use FOs, but even on EOs I feel like the recommended concentrations for SOME are weirdly low. I put lavender oil on my skin neat and I know not everyone can do that, but I also know that anyone who isn't allergic to lavender can probably handle more than 5% in soap.
I'm sure that 100% Margarita Lime lotion would be lovely. Lol
Jblaney, I know people that smell like they've bathed in their perfume. :) I see what you mean by the delicate bits though, that makes a bit more sense.

KristaMarie, I was thinking there must either be some magic to the Margarita Lime, or that would be some crappy lotion.

not_ally

Reaction score
Mrs. S, are those IFRA max amounts, or the manufacturer's max amounts? The IFRA ones can be kind of crazy, I usually just go w/the lower of the two.

kumudini

Reaction score
Not_ally, those are the IFRA amounts. I don't even see where they have the manufacturers max amounts listed.
I see the manufacturer 's max amounts under the second tab on individual product page, titled 'ingredients and directions'. There it states that the max amount in lotions is 1-2%. Doesn't say about perfumes though.

not_ally

Reaction score
Mrs. S, there is a huge gap between a lot of IFRA maxes and seller ones.

I am not sure what is going on with the IFRA ones (some of them really are crazy, you see 100% for things like mouthwash.) If I can find a seller one, I use that. If not, I wing it based on what most of the sellers say is reasonable based on similar FO's (that is usually at or less than 1 oz ppo of FO for soap, and much less for leave on/body products.) If I can't find a mftr amount for lotion I generally use a couple of tspsns, at most, ppo, it doesn't take much, and I like scents strong.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
I tend to default to 1% in lotions, mostly because that's what SwiftCraftyMonkey uses in her published lotion recipes. I find that's plenty strong! (Though I admit that I tend to prefer scents to be a bit on the lighter side, from growing up with a mother who was sensitive to fragrances.)