Leave-on product preferences for oily and acne-prone skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
Since my dry skin is an oddity in my town, I rely heavily on feedback to know product needs for non dry skin, ie outside soap. (The covid19 lockdown isn't helping). Happy for your thoughts. Here is one of my questions re product line planning.

I have noticed that people with oily & acne-prone skin often obsess over getting products that are "oil-free" whenever possible. Another observation is that they are likely to value my 'natural' approach.

I do not know the best types of leave-on product I should consider for such people.

On one hand; I worry that body butters, body oils and therapeutic salves (like sulfur or neem salves) would be undesirable because they are just oil, especially the butter because it is also heavy. Is this thinking justifiable?

On the other hand, while a partly water-based lotion or cream would be lighter, it requires preservatives and e-wax (which seems to be petroleum-based, something I'd rather avoid if possible).

What is the trend please? Are there any workarounds to eat my cake and have it too?

I recommend you do some research on non-comedogenic oils, first. Some oils are great on the rest of the body, but can make some break out on their faces. But there are some oils that are good for those with oily and combination skin. Once you do that, then decide if you want to focus on lotion sticks (balms) or lotions. Be aware that any kind of lotion with water needs a preservative to be safe. Find recipes and start working with willing friends. Just as with CP soap, you need some experience under your belt before you start selling. Otherwise, one runs the risk of selling a poor product and getting a reputation for bad products.
So that's my 2 cents.
Keep us posted and continue to ask questions.

I have oily and acne-prone skin although it had got better these years. It's more oily combination and acne-prone recently.
I've tried all sorts of oil-free products but they never did well for me, especially in colder days. Not moisturizing enough can actually made my skin oilier than usual. Body butter or any oil and butter product will always be too greasy for me and just sit on my skins or rub off on clothes. In summer I prefer gel-consistence products which can be hard to make at home. Any other time of year I always use a medium-consistency lotion.
Also, I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but I remember seeing olive oil or wheatgerm oil based e-wax when researching for solid conditioner. Frankly I'd rather have preservative than having unknown germ in leave-on products. Many commercial products that claims to be preservative-free really just have fancier preservatives.

I love squalane oil for acne prone skin. It sinks in really quickly and provides good moisture with out being heavy and oily. I use it in my face serums, moisturizers and even at 100% just as a face oil. It can be pricy but worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back