Leave in conditioner recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsSharLee

Reaction score
I stopped putting relaxers in my hair and have been using a flat iron to straighten it or just wearing it natural (afro). Unfortunately I don't have an elongated defined S curl or wave pattern when my hair dries. It's just tight and shrivels about 50% or more of its true length and is plain ole NAPPY or to be politically correct KINKY :) So I was using the technique to twist it with hair pudding let it dry then untwist to get a more defined pattern in my hair ... that is WAY too much work! So I've been searching to find a solution short of getting twists done using extensions which will last much longer ... BUT expensive!

Anyway ... I said all that to say ... I saw the recipe listed below for a conditioner for natural hair on http://www.naturallycurly.com/recip...n-conditioner-leavein-conditioner#detail-tabs an thought about trying it.

My question is ... wouldn't this need a preservative? There's none mentioned on the website ...

◦1 cup purified water
◦½ cup Aloe Juice and gel- a natural conditioner, great for hair loss, great for dry and itchy scalps.
◦1Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
◦Water/Milk from 1 coconut
◦10 small squirts of Lime Juice- removes hair odors, naturally cleanses the hair and scalp, prevents dandruff
◦1 Tbsp Shea butter (melted) – vitamin E (promotes growth, decreases sun damage, antioxidant)
◦1Tsp Rosemary oil - promotes growth, prevents hair loss, moisturizes and prevents dandruff
◦1 Tsp Olive oil – moisturizes and prevents dandruff
◦½ Tsp Thyme oil – promotes healthy scalp, gives natural shine and prevents hair loss.

Check out Swift's blog, Point of Interest. She has a ton, ton of info on making conditioners plus a hair care e-book. Agreed, pass on this one.

That's a poorly constructed recipe. Besides needing an emulsifier AND a preservative, with that much lime juice it will be irritating to the skin. Always use a recipe that uses weights as measures; not cups. Cups are not accurate to reproduce the recipe with the same consistency each and every time.

For a standard leave in conditioner, on susan's blog, it was somewhere near:
3% BTMS (i prefer 50 instead of 25 INCI: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetyl Alcohol (and) Butylene Glycol)
3% cetearyl alcohol
.5% preservative (i use germall plus with the recommended usage rate of 0.5%, how much you need will depend on your preservative)
Up to 100% distilled water (93.5% in this case)

But it doesn't have to end there! You can add all sort of things!
For curls you may want to look into cyclomethicon and dimethicone. You can add aloe vera, extracts,...

You should really check susan's blog http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/p/hair-care.html it is so awesome! Got the inspiration for my leave in conditioner there to and I'm very happy with it, most store bought ones made my hair greasy very fast..

Back