Leather Fragrance Oil - Which supplier is best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49910

Reaction score
Where may I find a really good authentic leather fragrance oil, preferably not a blend of two scents but just leather by itself.

I am open to any and all suggestions and anyone's personal experience.

Thanks! The Ol' Geezer Driftin' Around The Oort Cloud! 🛸

I just made a test batch with Wellington Fragrance Leather FO. It does seem slightly light in the smell but when I did get a good whiff it was very similar to what my old fringe leather jacket smelled like. My nose might have been somewhat blown out since I was working with four different FOs. I could smell the Ginger Verbena and the Dirt scent I was working with though. The Tobacco FO seemed very light as well. I used at approx 1oz FO/ 1lb soap batter. I will be cutting this today or tomorrow so I will update my thoughts then.

I just made a test batch with Wellington Fragrance Leather FO. It does seem slightly light in the smell but when I did get a good whiff it was very similar to what my old fringe leather jacket smelled like. My nose might have been somewhat blown out since I was working with four different FOs. I could smell the Ginger Verbena and the Dirt scent I was working with though. The Tobacco FO seemed very light as well. I used at approx 1oz FO/ 1lb soap batter. I will be cutting this today or tomorrow so I will update my thoughts then.
Thanks for the response! I'll be waiting to read your impressions on both of the fragrances as I am looking for a good tobacco fragrance too.

I have 'old west fragrance oil' hanging around in my basket on MMS site... it's supposed to smell like saddle leather, tobacco , firewood and dry brush... not sure if that would meet your requirements as it's not just one scent , but if anyone else has tried?
I am assuming it is the Mystic Mountain Sage website. The penchant for acronym usage on this forum is a bit over used IMHO.
Thanks for the lead!

Yes - 'Old West' from MMS is a mixture of pipe tobacco, leather, firesmoke. Behaves well in cp. Guys really like it.

Their shipping rate is quite high, even for one item at 4 oz. weight. $8.93 or so... $10+ for USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box, The commercial price for that is $7.40. So THE SAGE is tacking on hidden fees. I tend to shy away from a supplier that tacks on hidden fees.

Their shipping rate is quite high, even for one item at 4 oz. weight. $8.93 or so... $10+ for USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box, The commercial price for that is $7.40. So THE SAGE is tacking on hidden fees. I tend to shy away from a supplier that tacks on hidden fees.
Is it possible that they are paying for extra insurance or something? I also dislike extra fees, but am wondering how they would come up with an odd number like $8.93 apart from a USPS quote.

It might be worth it Professor! I think I'm going to press the send button!

It might be worth it Professor! I think I'm going to press the send button!
I am going to try it along with their Bay Rum scent and the Eucalyptus & Spearmint oil.
I am making a "Cream Shaving Soap" at the moment and once it has "rotted" in several weeks' time I will be adding the fragrance to it then.

I am going to try it along with their Bay Rum scent and the Eucalyptus & Spearmint oil.
I am making a "Cream Shaving Soap" at the moment and once it has "rotted" in several weeks' time I will be adding the fragrance to it then.

Bay Rum, sounds delishious. I want to try that in my husbands shaving soap, he loves things that smell spicy, but so far I have only found those below the allowed 200 fl.point. I live in Norway, so it is a bit tricky to get here.

May I ask what the difference is between cream shaving soap vs a dual lye or regular shaving soap?
The feel of it? The suds and foam? I have only made shaving soap (dual lye and with only NaOH) so I don`t know how it feels like compared to those.

May I ask what the difference is between cream shaving soap vs a dual lye or regular shaving soap?
The feel of it? The suds and foam? I have only made shaving soap (dual lye and with only NaOH) so I don`t know how it feels like compared to those.
Cream shaving soap is like what is available in either a squeeze tube or some also come in a jar with lid. Check out Proraso Italian shaving soaps, they make cream soaps in either tubes or jars (pre-shave cream) and also solid pucks.

The cream soap lathers faster but it is not as dense as a puck type soap. More bubbles to the lather. Although the cream soap I'm working on should be much denser lather than Proraso. I first tried Proraso when I first picked up a double-edge razor and the consistency out of the tube was similar to a thin toothpaste.

pro2771_cnocolour.jpg

25_951x.jpg

"rotted"?
Yeah... I don't like that term either, but apparently it was coined by Catherine Failor back in 2000 or 2001 when she published a book about making cream soaps. She was the first, from what I understand, to give recipes and directions on making cream soaps. That book is now out of print and finding a recipe or the method is like finding something akin to the Holy Grail. The recipe / method I found was by a lady who used to belong to a Yahoo Group for people making cream soap, but it was a "secret" group so to speak and apparently getting a membership was similar to joining Skull & Bones at Yale University! LOL!

That Yahoo Group is no longer in existence so I guess she won't be hunted down now. She speaks of her mistakes and a couple of FUBARS too. I used the Soapmaking Friend Calculator here on this forum rather than her amounts for the lye amounts. Her NaOH was spot on but the KOH was off by about 20% lower than the calculator here recommended.

The method and recipe can be found at: How to Make Soap "The Whipped Cream Method"

I used high oleic sunflower oil instead of olive oil, added 5% Sorbitol in the water phase and Sodium Lactate in the Super Cream Phase. Also I added titanium dioxide to increase the whitening.

"Rotted" is term referring to where after the soap is whipped, similar to whipped cream or pudding, it left to "rot" or settle down for several weeks to a creamy not a foamy consistency. It doesn't rot in the sense of like a rotten apple or banana, just that term was used signify to process of the cream soap changing character so to speak. I'm sure I'll be corrected by members here on the forum if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - 'Old West' from MMS is a mixture of pipe tobacco, leather, firesmoke. Behaves well in cp. Guys really like it.
Hi @bonnyny and @Professor Bernardo ! Can I ask what percentage you used ( if you’ve tried it yet Prof) old west ? I made some soap with it and it’s curing. I used it at 3% because that’s what the recommendation was but I also saw I could go higher I think? My husband loves the scent and I do too, but I think it’s a bit faint at 3. But then my nose is always challenged for some reason with most scents. ( so far it’s not from covid 🙄- just me). I noticed it said it gets stronger when wet too. Also, Prof, did you make your soap with the combined scents or did I miss that somewhere? I have a trial bottle of cowboy leather from Oregon trail that smells exactly like a leather saddlebag. I haven’t used it yet.

Back