Leather FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marg, did you make some soap with the BB leather? If so, how did you like it? Any A or D? I'm mightily tempted to order it.

I have not made soap but have made mustache wax and hand cream. I really like the scent but have some friends that do not. It is one of those scents that either you like or you don't. It doesn't seem to have any grey area....
I don't understand your A or D question. It is late and I am sooooo tired. I just finished 3 fourteen hours days at work and am totally bummed because I am not able to access this site at work any longer. Poop!

THanks for replying. I did order some so we'll see if I get the same love it or not response. I was wondering if there was any acceleration or discoloration with it in CP soap, but I see you used your FO in other products.

THanks for replying. I did order some so we'll see if I get the same love it or not response. I was wondering if there was any acceleration or discoloration with it in CP soap, but I see you used your FO in other products.

I will eventually make soap but I really wanted it to make lotion and mustache wax. If you make soap you can let me know if it moves fast or discolors. Thanks. I hope you like it. I have grown to love it!

I use Daystar Saddle Shop in a blend with several other F/O's including Wranglers. A couple of the scents in the blend are used in other blends, but saddle shop and wranglers are only used in this one soap. Well...long story short, this soap seems to over heat. I mean, really, it heats up twice as hot as my other soaps do, even the ones with identical ingredients (not SS or W.).

We were having problems with glycerine rivers and thought it might be the colorant, so we tried a different technique, but then, as it was sitting on the shelf for gel, I touched it and it was blazing compared to the others that were done at the same time. So, I can only think that maybe either saddle shop or wranglers or both together can cause a little heat problem. We are going to embrace the glycerin rivers. :D I see no other way around it.

I use BCN's Leather. It is spot on. I have friends who are in an alternative lifestyle and they ADORE this scent, they love it so much I have to make my BFF a batch all of her own LOL DayStar's Saddle Shop is a close second.

I bought 16 oz of BCN's Leather, when it arrived it said "candle use only."

I bought 16 oz of BCN's Leather, when it arrived it said "candle use only."

Did you get the Aged Leather surplus fragrance or the one that is Leather? The Aged Leather is not skin safe. The Leather is.

Leather - http://cart.candlesupply.com/Leather-pr-18497.html
Aged Leather - http://cart.candlesupply.com/Aged-Leather-Surplus-Fragrance-Oil-pr-21123.html

If it is the regular Leather, then they either A) mislabeled it or B) reformulated and haven't changed the website.

Tested BBs Leather FO. I did not think it accelerated trace. I poured a bit in a cup while I was making a different soap, stirred it quite a bit and it was behind the other soap I made trace-wise after I was done with "real" one I was making, Cedar and Saffron, which isn't a big accelerator either. I used cream in my batter, gelled the sample and it's currently off-white/sl yellow. TIme will tell. There is a note in the fragrance I'm not certain about, what I call a high-pitched smell. Currently I don't think it smells as leathery as Good Lookin' cowboy did. I won't pass judgment until it has some time under its belt though.

IMG_6937.jpg

I made a batch with BB's Leather. I colored and gelled my batch but the uncolored batter left on my equipment (ungelled obviously) became noticeably pink overnight. The gelled soap has NOT turned pink at all, nor has my little button that I posted in this thread.

la-rene, I had a similar problem with glycerin marbling in the soap I made with Daystar Saddle Shop fragrance. I figured it was just because I soaped at a low temp, but I'm beginning to think it's not a good fragrance for cp soap. I've got an order in to BB for their Leather FO, it's not a purely leather scent, but I'm game to give it a try.

Back