Learning in Mississippi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindainms

Reaction score
I am new at soaping. Only a year now. It really is interesting. As I move forward, it is getting more complicated. Reading the questions and answers has been very helpful. I am trying to do the hot process method because I live in a very humid climate and have a storage shortage.

I am 78 and started my own soaping because of my own chronic dry skin. Welcome to aging? As I gave soaps to family and friends for feedback, it became apparent that many people have different skin issues. (Like-a lot of people). I am now learning how to make a more consistent bar and a plethora of other things. Thank you all so much. Eager to see improvements.

Welcome.gif

I am 78 and started my own soaping because of my own chronic dry skin.

You are in good company. Many members of SMF learned to soap due to chronic skin conditions, including me. I made my first batch in 2003 when I was 60. I'm coming up on my 79th birthday this week and it still gives me joy every time I unmold a (successful) new batch!

WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK & HAPPY SOAPING!

View attachment 64130

Thank you so much. I wish you onward also. It is a interesting hobby but I like that can really help the right people. Looking forward to your expertise.
You are in good company. Many members of SMF learned to soap due to chronic skin conditions, including me. I made my first batch in 2003 when I was 60. I'm coming up on my 79th birthday this week and it still gives me joy every time I unmold a (successful) new batch!

WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK & HAPPY SOAPING!

As I gave soaps to family and friends for feedback, it became apparent that many people have different skin issues. (Like-a lot of people).

Actually, not as many as your think. Long before I got into soap making, I got into Mineral Makeup (NOT Bare Minerals) and Natural Skin Care. Most skin problems can be solved with just a well-balance bar of soap and some very light moisturizer for the face and hands because they are the most exposed parts of our skin. But marketing companies have people believing that you need or that, when in reality, all you are doing is making things worse.

Take oily skin. You purchase products that dry the skin out, so much so that your body produces more oil...which makes you use stronger products. Same thing with dry skin; we slather on the moisturizer...so much so that our body that our body quits produces oil...which make you use more moisturizer.

This is not to say that their aren't folks who do have skin conditions, but a lot of them can be fixed/mitigated with a well-balance bar of artisan soap that doesn't contain a lot of chemicals/additives, that hasn't had its glycerin completely removed and a little added back, that has allowed to be properly cured so that it is gentle.

Thank you so much. This was helpful. Good soaping to you

Actually, not as many as your think. Long before I got into soap making, I got into Mineral Makeup (NOT Bare Minerals) and Natural Skin Care. Most skin problems can be solved with just a well-balance bar of soap and some very light moisturizer for the face and hands because they are the most exposed parts of our skin. But marketing companies have people believing that you need or that, when in reality, all you are doing is making things worse.

Take oily skin. You purchase products that dry the skin out, so much so that your body produces more oil...which makes you use stronger products. Same thing with dry skin; we slather on the moisturizer...so much so that our body that our body quits produces oil...which make you use more moisturizer.

This is not to say that their aren't folks who do have skin conditions, but a lot of them can be fixed/mitigated with a well-balance bar of artisan soap that doesn't contain a lot of chemicals/additives, that hasn't had its glycerin completely removed and a little added back, that has allowed to be properly cured so that it is gentle.

Back