Learned something new last night.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm feeling very NOOB-ish as I did something dumb last night with my lye water. I only make small batches for some gnome soaps (custom order for a wedding) so I have little containers to make the lye water in. I measure the distilled water into a container and then add the lye - I do this in my laundry tub to prevent any mishaps. Well I poured the lye in as usual and then had to run upstairs and stop my dog from counter surfing. When I came back downstairs - I forgot to actually stir the lye solution (not even sure why) and I put the lid on and put the container in the cold water bath. Once my oils were ready, I poured the lye water in to mix and noticed my batter was off. The lye had settled at the bottom of the container as a solid piece of cement. So I was actually mixing water with my oils. A complete mess (smelled lovely though). Thank goodness it was a small batch.

gnome soap.jpg

I've gotten distracted and made this mistake before...but luckily I didn't pour it into my oils. Thought I was already to make a batch and then I saw the disc at the bottom so it was back to the start with the lye solution (which isn't so bad I guess, but I'm impatient).

That gnome is too cute!

It happens. I've made a few mistakes with my Lye.

The first was when I was going to make to different sized batches and used the Lye Solution for the 10" mold in the oils for the 4" mold...it got so hot so fast that I thought it was going to catch on fire. Tossed the bowl in a bag and literally threw it in the driveway.

Second was making my Lye Solution and leaving it in the garage for a week...uncovered. I didn't even think about the evaporation that had obviously occurred causing problems (I know differently now), I just saw all that crusty lye 'lint' on top and poured it down the bathtub drain.

Third was measuring my Lye and then letting it sit, in an open container, on my soap cart for several days. It got moved around 'cuz everyone like to put their crap on my cart and yeah...it got knocked off and I had it every where. I grabbed the cats and the husband and shut them in the bedroom, then put on some shoes, swept it up, sprayed white vinegar all over the floor and rinsed several times. A couple of months later I was doing a 'spring clean' and found a few 'burn' spots on my kitchen floor from the lye I had missed.

Lessons learned.

Attachments

• 8F979885-8D8D-475C-A2B7-5FEFADFD7796.jpeg
    8F979885-8D8D-475C-A2B7-5FEFADFD7796.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2381E770-0613-4826-9808-22F706BE48C3.jpeg
    2381E770-0613-4826-9808-22F706BE48C3.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 11
Back