Leaking Jars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
Hi! I haven't had this happen until this summer, but some of my sugar scrubs are actually leaking en route. I've got 4 ounce and 8 ounce jars, what kind of options do I have? I've been thinking about getting plastic bands with perforations, but don't know where to look.
Husband said electrical tape, which seems to be what places like brambleberry use, so could that work?
Thanks for your help!

I'm going to assume the sugar scrubs are oil based and not emulsified. In that case you need to decide if you want to keep using your current jars. If you do then yes electrical tape will work although it may look a bit unsightly. You can also look into getting sealing disks that work by pressure sealing the top of the jar. If the sizing is correct that should seal your jar until it is opened by the customer.

Going forward I would look for a better sealing jar and use it with a disk. Shrink wrap bands will not work to seal in liquid, it will just add a new layer of messiness when they try to open the jar. Shrink bands are usually used so the person knows it has not been opened by anyone else since it was made.

It is only the scrubs that are not emulsified that are having issues. Anything whipped with butters had been doing fine.
I thought I wanted shrink bands, but if they don't solve the leaking then I don't want them!
I love the idea of sealing disks, would you be able to point me in the right direction for some?

Back