Laziness goof-up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually make 33 oz batches of soap, but I was using the last of a masterbatched mix and had about 1 oz extra. Not wanting to waste anything, I dumped it in. I was too lazy to run it through a calculator, thinking "ah, just 1 little ounce can't matter too much." Turns out it turned my normally 5% superfat recipe into 8% superfat. It's been 3 days and the bars are hardening, but still a bit tacky to touch. Will they be okay or will they be too oily to use? Is there a way to re-batch them back to a lower superfat?

They will be fine, just give them some time. When I firstbstarted soaping, I used 8% sf for all my batches.

I do a full milk for water replacement with my GMS without accounting for all the extra fat in the milk...just means I have a more moisturizing bar of soap.

Thanks, @Obsidian . I'm guessing you didn't love the 8% results though since you don't do it anymore. Did they leave your skin or towels feeling too oily?

No, it didn't leave a residue. I lowered it as my recipe improved and didn't need the higher sf.
I've also used 10% and 25%. The 10% was fine, no residue.
The 25 was oily and soft, still washed ok but did leave a oily residue. It was just a experiment, tossed the whole batch.

Latest posts

Back