Layering

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
Is there anything special I would need to know if I want to make a layered soap? How soon after pouring the first layer, can I pour the second?

Does it automatically stick together?

Any advice is appreciated?

Planning ahead for the weekend after next.... :wink:

I'm just gonna wait here with you, because I've often wondered the same thing. I have a feeling that you have to make HP in order to do it, but I'm wondering if a liquid discount (making a thicker soap) would also work, ya know like split the batch in half after trace add "whatever" to the different halves, then pour one, then pour the other on top. Of course it would have to be thick enough......

Can't wait to see what someone says that knows what they're talking about!! :wink:

I divide my batch in 2 parts. I make 1/2 of it and pour. I then make the other 1/2 and by the time I'm ready to pour it, the first layer has thickened enough to keep seperate. I use a gram scale when doing the smaller portions. HTH's

Paul

If you're waiting for somebody who knows what they're talking about, that would not be me. :) However...

It would help to know what you mean by layer. Do you want your layers to be different colors or different soaps? It must be different soaps since for different colors you could either divide your batch and color the parts separately then pour and hope they don't mix too much. I've seen lots of pictures in Dr. Robert McDaniel's "Essentially Soap" where he says, "About half the mold was filled with soap colored using ... and then an uncolored soap was poured on top of the first layer. If you don't want mixing, the original layer must be thick enough to completely support the subsequent layers." It was clear from the context that both layers were the same batch except from colors.

Presumably you would wait a little more time after trace before pouring to get a thicker layer?

Perhaps you could do two batches, either the same soap different colors, or even different soaps, do the second batch a few or several hours after the first batch, don't know if this would work or whether it would be worth the trouble over the first method.

I'm considering doing a layered soap from Melinda Coss's "Gourmet Soaps Made Easy" where she makes Pina Colada soap, a layer of CP made from coconut oil and a little cocoa butter, scented coconut. She lets the CP firm up for several hours, then makes a batch of M&P dyed yellow and scented pineapple. "Wipe or spray the surface of the coconut soap base with witch hazel. Pour the glycerine soap on top of the base. Gently shake the mold so that the topping is evenly distributed. Leave to set." It looks good enough to eat!!! :)

Well I hope these ideas help contribute to the discussion.

I thought I had heard something regarding spraying the first layer with rubbing alcohol first before adding the second layer. I am doing CP. Is spraying necessary?

And yes, I am referring to different layers of color and/or soap recipes. I don't want the two layers to mix or swirl. Just one layer on top of another.

:?

if doing mp, spray the first layer well with rubbing alcohol ( good amount) and then pour the next layer.

if doing cold process: i mix my soap batch to just emulsion and then pour half of it off into another container, mix this, add fragrance oil, color and whatever else and pour. then go ahead and finish up the other half. usually by this time the first layer is firm enough to hold the next one. pour it gently over the back of a large spoon to help disperse the weight, pouring in a corner will also help. i always make sure my layered soaps gel so they mend together.

or just do seperate batches if this is easier for you because your soap traces fast.

Back