Layer of oil on top of the soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsnco

Reaction score
Hi ,
I made a soup with a combination of coconut oil, palm oil, Sunflower Oil and activated charcoal. the soap batter looked normal and I used the stick blender and had it at medium trace. I used the fragrance oil which I have used before on the same soap base but without the activated charcoal. The soap batter looked fine until I added the fragrance oil. When I started to pour the batter, it started to seize , but managed it get it all in to my wooden mould. And after about an hour I see a layer of oil.
The strange thing is I put the leftover batter into a silicon mould of single bars and no oozing of oils form that.
I drained the oil out, was nearly about 300 ml (my batch was 210 oz ) Wondering if it’s the fragrance oil, or my scale had played up and I added extra oil.
Other than that the soap looks fine. I am yet to cut it.
I am not sure what to do with the soap. would appreciate any advice or if anyone has had any experience like this before.

Attachments

• BC099A62-4A82-421C-803B-0BD70758B8D7.jpeg
    BC099A62-4A82-421C-803B-0BD70758B8D7.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 21
Can you share the exact recipe that you used? It would be very helpful if you could. Having drained that much oil out of the batch, you may have a chance of having to much lye and not enough oil and therefore it would make the soap unusable but we can't know for sure without the full recipe.

First of all, your larger wooden slab mold is going to conduct more heat than a single bar cavity mold will. Second, your soap most likely overheated since the separation. Put the oil back on the soap and let it sit for several days to see if it absorbs back in. Ml to oz doesn't sound like a whole lot to me...if it doesn't absorb back in, give it a few months of curing and then zap test. Worse case is to rebatch the soap.

Latest posts

Back