Lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenlwhi2

Reaction score
I need some help! I have been making cold process soap for several years and I recently began selling my soap. My all time favorite is lavender. But, I cannot get my lavender soap right! I use only Eos in this bar and no fos. I know lavender is a flighty one that doesn't want to stick well. I have tried pairing it with patchouli which is OK but still not enough scent. I have also paired with patchouli and orange combo. This smells stronger ,but doesn't smell like lavender. I want it to smell like lavender! Is this too much to ask?

What do u guys do?

How much eo do use and what kind?

Would hot processing and adding the eo at the end help?

Right now I am using Brambleberry Hungarian Lavender at the highest usage rate (maybe a little more actually.) 5 oz of oil for 10 lbs of soap. I noticed some of the other lavenders have a higher amount listed so wondered about trying a different one. But, lavender is so expensive I hate doing so many trial batches!

I use from .5 to 1 oz PPO. Try lavender 40/42 essential oil in soap. It doesn't smell as sweet as the French Fine Lavender, but It is cheaper and smells pretty good in soap. Camden Grey has a good price on it.

I use from .5 to 1 oz PPO. Try lavender 40/42 essential oil in soap. It doesn't smell as sweet as the French Fine Lavender, but It is cheaper and smells pretty good in soap. Camden Grey has a good price on it.
At 1 oz ppo does it have a nice strong scent? I don't want people to have to 'look' for the scent. I just want it to be there right away! Do u use anything else to help anchor it in?

Just post your question ONCE, please. You've posted the same question in 3 sub-forums.

Lavender EO doesn't necessarily smell like lavender flowers, because not all the aroma chemicals in the flowers are present in the EO. That's why a fragrance oil can be more true to life. Not saying you need to use FOs, just understand EOs are not the be-all end-all of scents.

You might be happier with a hot process soap. I know the active NaOH in CP soap will alter the fragrance of lavender EO to some extent.

Just post your question ONCE, please. You've posted the same question in 3 sub-forums.

Lavender EO doesn't necessarily smell like lavender flowers, because not all the aroma chemicals in the flowers are present in the EO. That's why a fragrance oil can be more true to life. Not saying you need to use FOs, just understand EOs are not the be-all end-all of scents.

You might be happier with a hot process soap. I know the active NaOH in CP soap will alter the fragrance of lavender EO to some extent.
Sorry, I'm new to this forum so wasn't sure how the posting worked and if they all linked together!
Ok that is good to know. I'm not opposed to fos. I use them in some other bars. I just have a lot of customers that strictly want eos so I'm trying to cater to that. I may give the hot process a try if u think it would help.

What amount if eo would you do if hot processing it?

I make lavender soap and only add about 10 grams of the Brambleberry 40/42 Lavender to 4 ounces of soap. It definitely smells like lavender. Not hit-you-over-the-head headache level of fragrance but it's for sure there. I do add dried lavender but only about 4 or 5 tiny leaves for the top of each bar.
I don't know if some butters and oils also just hold the fragrance better? I never use tallow, lard, palm, etc....just the vegan oils/butters i.e. coconut, olive, shea, cocoa butter, hemp, rice bran and so on. Again, not sure if the fat carrier would have anything to do with it.

I make lavender soap and only add about 10 grams of the Brambleberry 40/42 Lavender to 4 ounces of soap. It definitely smells like lavender. Not hit-you-over-the-head headache level of fragrance but it's for sure there. I do add dried lavender but only about 4 or 5 tiny leaves for the top of each bar.
I don't know if some butters and oils also just hold the fragrance better? I never use tallow, lard, palm, etc....just the vegan oils/butters i.e. coconut, olive, shea, cocoa butter, hemp, rice bran and so on. Again, not sure if the fat carrier would have anything to do with it.
Sounds like u use about 1 oz ppo too. Maybe I've just not been using enough. It's just so expensive but I did check put Camden grey and they are much more reasonable. I wondered about the oils/fats too. I use lard in mine.

How much EO are you using in your soap, and who do you buy it from? You might just need more.

I much prefer lavender FO as it smells more like what people think it should smell like. Also, you might want to ask yourself if you think your customers know the difference between an EO and a FO. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but most of mine have no idea that there's a difference--even after I explain it to them.

Sounds like u use about 1 oz ppo too. Maybe I've just not been using enough. It's just so expensive but I did check put Camden grey and they are much more reasonable. I wondered about the oils/fats too. I use lard in mine.

No, I use 10 grams of essential oil total for the entire 4 lb. batch of soap, not ppo. 10 grams is less than .5 oz. I think the recommendation of .5-1oz of fragrance ppo is waaay too much but that's just me. My system's extra sensitive I guess? That said, if you were to give someone with closed eyes a bar of my lavender soap and have them give a whiff, they'd definitely be able to pinpoint the lavender.

I want it to smell like lavender! Is this too much to ask?
I hear your frustration, jenlwhi2! No, it's not too much to ask. We can help.
Now for my frustration... it drives me crazy (not a far drive, to be sure. :mrgreen:) when Newbies post the same question on several different Forums. So please...
...Post this question in the appropriate EO/FO forum.
...Then, contact one of the moderators and ask them to delete all previous threads. To do this, click on "lsg"s name above. She's pretty good about helping new members with problems like this.
...And lastly, be patient. Not everyone, me for example :mrgreen:, is on every day and it may take some time to get the answer you want.
Sorry, I'm new to this forum so wasn't sure how the posting worked and if they all linked together!
Ok that is good to know.
No worries. Now, take a deep breath, dear heart, and start over. We'll getcha there. In the mean time, if you haven't already done so, please take a moment to introduce yourself in the Introduction Forum. It's helpful for us to know where you hail from, your level of experience, and any other interesting things about yourself that you would care to share. PS: We love pictures! hint, hint.

HTH :bunny:

I hear your frustration, jenlwhi2! No, it's not too much to ask. We can help.

Now for my frustration... it drives me crazy (not a far drive, to be sure. :mrgreen:) when Newbies post the same question on several different Forums. So please...
...Post this question in the appropriate EO/FO forum.
...Then, contact one of the moderators and ask them to delete all previous threads. To do this, click on "lsg"s name above. She's pretty good about helping new members with problems like this.
...And lastly, be patient. Not everyone, me for example :mrgreen:, is on every day and it may take some time to get the answer you want.

No worries. Now, take a deep breath, dear heart, and start over. We'll getcha there. In the mean time, if you haven't already done so, please take a moment to introduce yourself in the Introduction Forum. It's helpful for us to know where you hail from, your level of experience, and any other interesting things about yourself that you would care to share. PS: We love pictures! hint, hint.

HTH :bunny:
Sorry, I'm in some other forums and you are supposed to post multiples places. I didn't quite understand what you were asking me to do. what is lsg?

Sorry, I'm in some other forums and you are supposed to post multiples places. I didn't quite understand what you were asking me to do. what is lsg?
No worries. Go to the top of the thread... "lsg" is the person who responded to your question in post #2. Click on her avatar/name to send a PM (Private Message). Only the OP (Original Poster) can make changes to a "Thread", which this is, but you need to ask a moderator to do it. LSG can also move this thread to the appropriate forum for you, which is probably a good idea, since several members joined the discussion while I was typing! :)

The OP can delete her own posts -- she's within the time frame to edit her posts, so she's still able to delete them too. It doesn't need a mod/admin unless the editing period has expired.

The reason why you should ask a given question in only one category in this forum -- If you create duplicate threads, then people end up replying to the same question multiple times. That gets old and annoying. And then the discussions can begin to spill over from one thread to another duplicate thread, and that makes everyone confused.

I have no idea why it would be proper etiquette to post the same question in multiple sub-categories within any single forum. At least I've never seen this happen in the other forums I belong to. Maybe you're confusing this idea with cross posting as it's done on Facebook? If so, cross posting means to send the same question to multiple different groups, not asking the same question more than one time within any one particular group.

The option to delete has recently been removed for most members, so the OP wouldn't be able to delete their own post.

Forum supporters continue to be able to use this feature, which would be why it is still available from your perspective.

The OP can delete her own posts -- she's within the time frame to edit her posts, so she's still able to delete them too. It doesn't need a mod/admin unless the editing period has expired.

The reason why you should ask a given question in only one category in this forum -- If you create duplicate threads, then people end up replying to the same question multiple times. That gets old and annoying. And then the discussions can begin to spill over from one thread to another duplicate thread, and that makes everyone confused.

I have no idea why it would be proper etiquette to post the same question in multiple sub-categories within any single forum. At least I've never seen this happen in the other forums I belong to. Maybe you're confusing this idea with cross posting as it's done on Facebook? If so, cross posting means to send the same question to multiple different groups, not asking the same question more than one time within any one particular group.
From what I can tell the others are deleted. At least I can't find them now.
One that I'm on is a pregnancy and baby forum and people post the same question in multiple categories all the time because different people are members of different categories. Or people only 'check' certain ones that interest them.I assumed this was the same.
Sorry.

Back to the topic at hand, I am a heavy scenter in my soaps and I do use 1oz per pound of oils, so in a 2lb. batch I will use 2oz of lavender eo. I use all the different lavenders from New Directions Aromatics and always get a strong lavender scent.

Hope that helps!

This is great! Thanks so much. Im going to try a batch this afternoon using 1 oz ppo and see how it turns out! Maybe I've just been way over thinking this :) I've never tried new directions aromatics. Maybe I will give them a try
Back to the topic at hand, I am a heavy scenter in my soaps and I do use 1oz per pound of oils, so in a 2lb. batch I will use 2oz of lavender eo. I use all the different lavenders from New Directions Aromatics and always get a strong lavender scent.

Hope that helps!

I use Camden Grey 40/42 and while it is a lovely smelling 40/42 it still fades after 6 months or so, which is why I do not make huge batches of it. In 60 oz of oils I use 4.3 oz of my lavender. It will hold quite well for about 6 months even wrapped, so I went to adding in some Lavender fragrance oil with it, and it has helped a little bit. I use it at the rate of 2:1 40/42 : fragrance oil. I cannot imagine 10grams of lavender in 4 lbs of soap having any fragrance other than what mine would be in 6 months or so, and by then it will not sell. If my customers cannot smell it they simply do not buy it. So I would rather spend the money and use more rather than waste half a batch or so of soap.

Hey, lavender soap brought me to the forum too! Welcome!

I also use 1oz ppo. I found the scent a little overpowering at first. In months 3-6 (ish - my memory isn't perfect) it seemed just about right. At 11 months it still smells like lavender, but the scent is pretty feeble. I like strongly scented soaps, so another person might find it scented enough.

Latest posts

Back