Lavender soap smells awful!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha

Reaction score
I made a lavender soap a couple of days ago and just cut it. It smells terrible! I've read that milk soaps can have a sour smell but this isn't a milk soap. I've made several milk soaps and none have had this smell when cutting. I used The lavender EO at 5%, just a bit more than the last time I made this soap. The last one was fine but the lavender smell was weak, so I upped the amount. I used lard, olive oil, Shea butter, avocado oil, coconut oil and castor oil with salt and sugar added to the lye water. Could the scent go away even though it isn't a milk soap or should I chuck it?

Forgot to add, this is the first time I've used TD. Would that make a difference as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
TD shouldn't affect the scent. Does it smell like ammonia? that's from the milk - it will fade.

However, if it smells like sour milk or baby vomit, IME that smell won't fade and can't be HPed out.

Give it some more time. I've had soaps smell bad when cut but once cured they were fine. TD won't affect smell.

I agree with the others. Sometimes my soap has an awful smell when cut but cures out just fine. I hate lavender no matter what kind it is. I make a lot of it but don't like it. It's a great seller so I suffer through it. Lilac too.

Dixie dragon, there was no milk in this batch. It was still sticky on the inside after 48+ hours though. I used 33% water and a 7% SF. I'll wait a bit before I decide to toss it or not. I used Now brand lavender EO, but I've used it before in several soaps without a problem. As soon as it's gone I'd like to try another kind. This one isn't strong enough for me and I LOVE lavender.

Well, it looks as if I won't have to toss it after all. All traces of the sour smell are gone! I made this batch specifically for a coworker that requested some but I think I'll make another batch for them. I'd like to keep an eye on this one and see how time treats it. Thanks!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1431198331.399223.jpg

The soap I made for the alternate liquids swap had a really bad sour ammonia scent when I cut it. No milks either and after about 4 days, the bad smell was gone.
Any chance your soap got a bit too hot? I've noticed when soap gets to the point of almost overheating, it can produce a bad smell that will disappear with time.

Hmm, I'm not sure. How can you tell if it got too hot? I'm pretty sure it didn't gel and it was warm to the touch but I don't think it ever really got hot. I used the BB 6x6 silicone mold and covered it with a paper towel to keep dust and pet hair off of it.

Just thought I'd update this post. I discovered that it's the pigment I used that had an odor to it. According to the Brambleberry site, the Ultramarine Violet Oxide has a sulphur smell to it that goes away when added to the product. It doesn't go away in bath bombs until you use it in the bath though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back