Lavender soap help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicki Carr

Reaction score
I make c/p soap and have mica colors can I just add mica to oils and get this color when ppl talk bout clay it’s used to hold scent correct and do they make purple koalin clay I use rose clay and it’s beautiful but my purple or lavender don’t take in my soaps why??

I make c/p soap and have mica colors can I just add mica to oils and get this color
Are your Micas recommended for CP soap? If not, they may turn a funny color or shade when added.
when ppl talk bout clay it’s used to hold scent correct
Whether or not clay does that gets debated occasionally, with anecdotal evidence on both sides. Clay does change the feel and lather of soap a little, and it's also added for color.

do they make purple koalin clay I use rose clay and it’s beautiful
I've never seen clay in blue or purple. Only white, pink, orange, yellow, and green.

my purple or lavender don’t take in my soaps why??
Purple what? Lavender what? I think this is missing one or two nouns.

Are your Micas recommended for CP soap? If not, they may turn a funny color or shade when added.

Whether or not clay does that gets debated occasionally, with anecdotal evidence on both sides. Clay does change the feel and lather of soap a little, and it's also added for color.

I've never seen clay in blue or purple. Only white, pink, orange, yellow, and green.

Purple what? Lavender what? I think this is missing one or two nouns.
Hi I’m talking about c/p soaps I can’t get my purple or lavender micas to come out in color

Are your Micas created to survive the lye in CP? And what color is your uncolored soap?
How to check if mica survive lye and I added little white koalin clay in help hold lav exit turned off white the top of soap should been lavender any advice and ty

Attachments

• 2E1E44BA-7EAF-4691-AE60-AFBD08330740.jpeg
    2E1E44BA-7EAF-4691-AE60-AFBD08330740.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 19
How to check if mica survive lye
The packaging or product page should tell you if it is. If it doesn't mention it, it probably is not. Also, the Mica usually survives but turns a different color or shade.
I added little white koalin clay in
How much clay and how much soap or oils?
help hold lav exit turned off white
These words in this order do not make sense. I have no idea what this is attempting to communicate.
the top of soap should been lavender any advice and ty
What colorants are in the top section of the soap, and how much of each for how much soap? And, once again, what color is your soap with no clays, Micas, dyes, or infusions?

The packaging or product page should tell you if it is. If it doesn't mention it, it probably is not. Also, the Mica usually survives but turns a different color or shade.

How much clay and how much soap or oils?

These words in this order do not make sense. I have no idea what this is attempting to communicate.

What colorants are in the top section of the soap, and how much of each for how much soap? And, once again, what color is your soap with no clays, Micas, dyes, or infusions?
Sorry bout that one line who knows where that came from so top layer 2T white clay to whole batch plus I was thinking 🙄if I first add little TD to it then add lav mica it would take oh well smells good not half bad I used olive oil coconut oil coco butter caster oil Shea butter and SAO

Where did you get your micas? Lavender/Purple is notorious for changing to a dull grey. I don't remember if we are allowed to give links or mention suppliers on here, but there are a couple that have good purples that do survive in CP

Ok...you need to slow down and give your fingers a change to catch up with your thoughts.

Whether or not Kaolin Clay 'anchors' Essential or Fragrance Oils is still up for debate...some folks says it works, some say it doesn't.

Yes, you can add your colorant directly to your oils. It should be noted though that when you add in your lye solution, the color will lighter and you may have to add more.

Since we don't know who you purchased your "purple" or "lav" from, we can't give any real advice as to why. It could be that colorants aren't appropriate for CP Soap. It could be that you are not adding enough of the colorant. Also, are you using EVOO...the green tint can interferer as can the kind of Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter. Too much 'yellow' can turn purples a muddy brown color.

Looking at the photo...I'm going to say you used a mica not suited for CP Soap.

Sorry bout that one line who knows where that came from so top layer 2T white clay to whole batch plus I was thinking 🙄if I first add little TD to it then add lav mica it would take oh well smells good not half bad I used olive oil coconut oil coco butter caster oil Shea butter and SAO
Once again, what is your batch size?
2T of clay per 100 grams of oil and 2T of clay per 1,000 grams of oil are very different ratios.
Also, if your soap is not gelled, it's going to mute the Mica, and adding TD or Kaolin clay will make it even worse. Pink becomes light pink, light pink becomes pastel pink, pastel pink becomes white. So, if you're using a lot of white clay or TD and a light purple Mica, you will likely get mostly white. Gelling your soaps can darken the Mica, but it can also darken the natural color of your soap.
Again, what color is your uncolored soap? The reason I keep asking is because if it is naturally yellow, it will always cancel out purple, causing it to appear grey to some degree. Using a brighter purple and zero clay or TD may counteract it slightly, but if you want a true purple there is no substitute for using refined oils or butters that result by themselves in a nearly white soap.

I recommend buying colorants from soap suppliers. If they don't have a picture of the color in CP soap, I don't buy there. Lots of micas will hold up in MP soap, but that's a whole different thing. I recommend Nurture Soap and TKB trading. Wholesale Supplies Plus is good too, though I'm breaking my picture rule with them. But they have extensive reviews to check, which I like.

Please proofread your posts and use punctuation. Thanks!

Nurture Soap and Micas and more are my favorite suppliers for micas. I actually prefer Save On Soap Supplies! - Micas and More but both have gorgeous purples. This is one of my favorites and you will see it states cp stable. Cosmic Purple Mica - Micas and More I have other favorites at Nurture Soaps. Also, Blue food coloring is fun to watch how it will morph to purple. It will turn blue, gray, pink, and settle to a pretty purple. I actually used it a lot before micas became popular. But it is not for the faint at heart type. :D 🤪

Last edited:
Once again, what is your batch size?
2T of clay per 100 grams of oil and 2T of clay per 1,000 grams of oil are very different ratios.
Also, if your soap is not gelled, it's going to mute the Mica, and adding TD or Kaolin clay will make it even worse. Pink becomes light pink, light pink becomes pastel pink, pastel pink becomes white. So, if you're using a lot of white clay or TD and a light purple Mica, you will likely get mostly white. Gelling your soaps can darken the Mica, but it can also darken the natural color of your soap.
Again, what color is your uncolored soap? The reason I keep asking is because if it is naturally yellow, it will always cancel out purple, causing it to appear grey to some degree. Using a brighter purple and zero clay or TD may counteract it slightly, but if you want a true purple there is no substitute for using refined oils or butters that result by themselves in a nearly white soap.
Hi thanks again for input my colors are from BB and I have bejeweled in purple I’ll try next time I don’t give up easily I made this last night with 100%coconut oil added rose clay

Attachments

• A677BA76-DA26-4ABC-B4AB-950ED01AB577.jpeg
    A677BA76-DA26-4ABC-B4AB-950ED01AB577.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 103D4C41-CD0B-475A-BBB5-F22BDCFCC1D8.jpeg
    103D4C41-CD0B-475A-BBB5-F22BDCFCC1D8.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi thanks again for input my colors are from BB and I have bejeweled in purple I’ll try next time I don’t give up easily I made this last night with 100%coconut oil added rose clay
Also I love how much simpler 100% coconut oil soap is and good lather my ? I want to add goats milk powder to that that should b good huh thanks again

The color was from brambleberry but I also have bejeweled lav I will try later like I said I think I added TD and clay being too much to expect add lav on top all that so I try again ty for your help it’s nice talk to someone more experienced and get good feedback 😍😍

Hi thanks again for input my colors are from BB and I have bejeweled in purple I’ll try next time

Brambleberry does not make a 'bejeweled lavender'...they have Queen's Purple, Lavender, Orchid and Plum Dusk (I have the Lavender and Plum Dusk). And a Google search for a "bejeweled in purple" and wasn't able to find any soap suppliers who carried it. So who is the manufacture of this purple colorant you are using?

The color was from brambleberry but I also have bejeweled lav I will try later like I said I think I added TD and clay being too much to expect add lav on top all that so I try again ty for your help it’s nice talk to someone more experienced and get good feedback

No offense, but you are saying a lot of things that don't make any sense. I use Kaolin Clay in my recipe...1 tea PPO; I like the feel of it and it may or may not help with anchoring my FOs. I have also use Kaolin Clay as a 'colorant' and have used TD to lighten or brighten other colorants, but not to the extent that it would negate the colorant as a whole. And I have a good half dozen different 'purples' from different [soap] suppliers and as long as I am using the appropriate amount, they are all turning out.

Back