Lavender instead of Shea Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysPhoenix

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I found a recipe online I am wanting to try out, however, I was thinking about using Lavender Butter instead of the Shea Butter. Their sap values are equal, however, when adding the Lavender Butter manually into the calculator I do not know it's other "values" except for the sap value and expiration date, so I am concerned the change may negatively affect the quality of the soap. Does anyone have any experience with Lavender Butter and how it may compare to Shea in a recipe?

Also, upon putting the ingredients in a lye calculator it comes out to 100.1%, so I was thinking I would knock 0.1% off of the castor oil?

Here's the make-up of the recipe as it is on the website:

Coconut Oil (31.6% of the oils)
Apricot Kernel Oil (18.4% of the oils)
Olive Oil (15.8% of the oils)
Shea Butter (15.8% of the oils)
Avocado Oil (13.2% of the oils)
Castor Oil (5.3% of the oils)

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

I've never heard of lavender butter but I don't think it's a natural butter like Shea. It's probably a lavender EO mixed with a hydrogenated oil or palm oil. Possibly even just lavender oil mixed into a sheq butter. Can you provide the link to the supplier?

I've never heard of lavender butter but I don't think it's a natural butter like Shea. It's probably a lavender EO mixed with a hydrogenated oil or palm oil. Possibly even just lavender oil mixed into a sheq butter. Can you provide the link to the supplier?

https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...0581.html#q=lavender+oil&lang=default&start=1
You are right! Under the ingredients it says:
  • Ingredients (Common Name): Sweet Almond Oil, Vegetable Oil (Hydrogenated), Lavender Extract

As you posted, it is a mixture of almond oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil and lavender extract. If I were you, I would not spend the money for that. Instead try using Crisco or a similar product and add lavender EO for fragrance.

Thank you! I should have looked at the ingredients before even posting my question - I will not be spending the money on it when I can throw something similar together myself for a fraction of the cost :)

I have a number of similar "butters": lavender, coffee, orange, lemon, rosehip....probably a few others. They are good for use out of the container or as an ingredient in other body butters, but I wouldn't use them anywhere a chemical reaction happens. What annoys me is that my supplier, New Directions Aromatics, mixes them right in the list with the cocoa, shea, kokum, etc butters. I *think* they've gotten better at putting the "made with non-GMO hydrogenated soy oil" up front, but for a while you had to really search for that information. Would be so easy to make two proper lists though, one of true butters from seeds and nuts, and their properties, and one list of essentially "flavoured" or "enriched" Crisco (ok, maybe they shouldn't take my marketing/naming advice). I like the "flavoured" butters as they're fast and easy (and coffee one is so good OMG).

I have a number of similar "butters": lavender, coffee, orange, lemon, rosehip....probably a few others. They are good for use out of the container or as an ingredient in other body butters, but I wouldn't use them anywhere a chemical reaction happens. What annoys me is that my supplier, New Directions Aromatics, mixes them right in the list with the cocoa, shea, kokum, etc butters. I *think* they've gotten better at putting the "made with non-GMO hydrogenated soy oil" up front, but for a while you had to really search for that information. Would be so easy to make two proper lists though, one of true butters from seeds and nuts, and their properties, and one list of essentially "flavoured" or "enriched" Crisco (ok, maybe they shouldn't take my marketing/naming advice). I like the "flavoured" butters as they're fast and easy (and coffee one is so good OMG).

Thank you for the response! I love that you called it "enriched crisco" as I was talking to someone else earlier after I had read the first response and I called it the same thing!!! LOL - you are right though, not a good marketing name!

Back