Lavender fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I’ve heard that lavender and aniseed is a nice blend. Maybe it was you that mentioned it somewhere along the way. I might even have some here.
Um, I know that the work of @KiwiMoose and mine are often confused, ;) but I have sung the praises of blending lavender and anise essential oils. I'm not a big lavender fan but love it with anise. Anise seems to really change a blend where it makes one unique scent and you can't detect the original single scents.

I made small soaps for my daugter-in-law for her shower and for them both for wedding favors. I used a lavender/sandalwood scent, both of which I bought from WSP. They are (the soaps) about 2 1/2 years old, I have a couple left and I am amazed they still smell really nice. Both fragrances are from WSP's EO/FO blends. I looked into buying real sandalwood, but honestly it's just soooo expensive!

Um, I know that the work of @KiwiMoose and mine are often confused, ;) but I have sung the praises of blending lavender and anise essential oils. I'm not a big lavender fan but love it with anise. Anise seems to really change a blend where it makes one unique scent and you can't detect the original single scents.
Sorry Zing! I really couldn't remember where I read lavender and anise make a nice blend but thought it was KiwiMoose. I haven't pursued it as anise really isn't a scent I like - but I should try the two blended if I still have some anise around. You have made me curious about it.

I may have to try that...is the anise noticeable in the blend, or does it just kind of enhance the lavender? My mother is not a licorce fan, but it sounds interesting. Thanks!

I am almost ready to give up on lavender eo and just do special orders for it. I only use eo's and settled on Bulk Apothecary 40/42. I have heard 40/42 is more consistent on scent. It is not super floral almost a bit spicy to me? I will try Bramble Berry and test the fading. Thanks Zing. I do hot process method added after the cook and it sticks better in my coconut oil/avocado oil bar then it does in my castile aka olive oil bar. Depending on the oils you use in your recipe I feel like it smells different. My castile after 6 months fades and smells a bit of play dough. The coconut avocado recipe holds the scent a bit better and when I added a bit of goats milk even more scent retention in the non olive oil bar. Soap is a huge science experiment :) What is WSP?

I have used Camden Grey Lavender 40/42 for years and a few years ago I discovered I like it mixed with The Sage's Tassi Lavender FO. Tassi does accelerate so I would go a tad less than 50/50. The Fo seemed to help the 40/42 stick even better and added a tad more floral. But Camden Grey's 40/42 was always a steady seller for me. Tassi Lavender Fragrance Oil

I have used Camden Grey Lavender 40/42 for years and a few years ago I discovered I like it mixed with The Sage's Tassi Lavender FO. Tassi does accelerate so I would go a tad less than 50/50. The Fo seemed to help the 40/42 stick even better and added a tad more floral. But Camden Grey's 40/42 was always a steady seller for me. Tassi Lavender Fragrance Oil
I’ve looked at Camden Grey in the past but have never ordered from them as I had in my head the oils were sold in amounts only for diffusers. I just checked out both Camden Grey and The Sage. Thank you @cmzaha

Has anyone had any luck or experience with storing the bars in a container with lavender. Maybe on a cotton ball or just an open bottle, in the container to help it absorb the scent longer? This was my next thought on helping it stay.

I really like lavender luxury from Nature's Garden. Although I should mention: it's a camphorous lavender. NG says that there are other notes, but I had trouble detecting them. It also rices, but is actually pretty okay to use. Acceleration was not bad, but it does heat up in the mold.

Oddly, on a whim I ordered a 1 oz bottle of "True Lavender FO" from Fragrance Buddy, and out of the blue a neighbor asked me if I could make her a lavender fragranced soap. :) This lavender is really nice without any other notes that I could discern, AND it soaps beautifully. No discoloration or acceleration.

Megan, Thanks for the heads up. Stupid question. It is an olive oil with a bit of bees wax for a harder bar recipe. If the oils are good when I start out and have a good cure time can they go rancid? I thought once it cured a soap bar would be good forever. Unless I added herbs or some ? I could see that going part getting moldy or bad? It is the olive bar only that gets the play dough smell after 6 months. Even if it is say patchouli eo. Any thoughts?

Merry Christmas!!! So, after talking with my mother today, she told me she showered with the soap I gave her and said she loved the way it felt and lathered! It was @Zany_in_CO no slime soap with the goat milk. BUT she told me she couldn’t smell the lavender I put in it. I use essential oils and understand they lose their scent.. I can still smell it, but it’s faint. Maybe because my mother is 90.. so I asked her if she had problems with me using fragrance oil instead. Her answer was “ I don’t see why not.. I used to use Dove.. it has fragrance in it right?” ( shes 90!) But she likes my soap , so my question is, what’s the best lavender fragrance oil I could get for her soaps only? I used the max essential oil I could use with hers and lavender is her favorite. No other choices there. Thanks all and again, Merry Christmas to all!
I don’t know where you purchase your lavender but I have found New Directions Aromatics has lavender essential oil and nature identical that is superb! They also have a new oil that is a lighter, more floral lavender. You may want to give them a try.

Back