Lavender fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!!! So, after talking with my mother today, she told me she showered with the soap I gave her and said she loved the way it felt and lathered! It was @Zany_in_CO no slime soap with the goat milk. BUT she told me she couldn’t smell the lavender I put in it. I use essential oils and understand they lose their scent.. I can still smell it, but it’s faint. Maybe because my mother is 90.. so I asked her if she had problems with me using fragrance oil instead. Her answer was “ I don’t see why not.. I used to use Dove.. it has fragrance in it right?” ( shes 90!) But she likes my soap , so my question is, what’s the best lavender fragrance oil I could get for her soaps only? I used the max essential oil I could use with hers and lavender is her favorite. No other choices there. Thanks all and again, Merry Christmas to all!

I use Lavender EO 40/42 and I use it at a little less than 6%. Normally I use 2oz fo in my 1000g ppo loaves, but only 1.75 of this eo (cause I am cheap and want to get more out of the bottle because eo's are expensive LOL). But I smell it just fine. I have a bar left that I made 7 months ago that still retains the lavender smell.

Now that I think about it, I have another bar that I used Lavender/Peppermint 50:50 that is about the same age. I can still smell the Lavender nicely, but not the peppermint.

To me, the 40/42 smells nicer in soap than other lavenders. I have used this from Brambleberry and WSP and they are both the same.

I am a Lavender lover, so I could go on and on about lavender lol.

I'm struggling through some lavender FO testing right now. Does it need to be a straight lavender, or would some other notes be okay? Do you have vendors that you prefer to use? I have several I am testing.
Hi, actually yes, I need straight lavender. I don't really have any particular vendors yet that I prefer. I've used different ones, including amazon for essential oils. Have never bought fragrance oils...Thanks! I'll be interested in what you learn!
I use Lavender EO 40/42 and I use it at a little less than 6%. Normally I use 2oz fo in my 1000g ppo loaves, but only 1.75 of this eo (cause I am cheap and want to get more out of the bottle because eo's are expensive LOL). But I smell it just fine. I have a bar left that I made 7 months ago that still retains the lavender smell.

Now that I think about it, I have another bar that I used Lavender/Peppermint 50:50 that is about the same age. I can still smell the Lavender nicely, but not the peppermint.

To me, the 40/42 smells nicer in soap than other lavenders. I have used this from Brambleberry and WSP and they are both the same.

I am a Lavender lover, so I could go on and on about lavender lol.
Catscankim, you may have hit the nail on the head. In the past I had used 40/42, (which I think my mother noticed a couple of years ago) I just looked and noticed I had NOW lavender, not 40/42. I also know I used eocalc which was at 5%. How high can you go with lavender? Up to 6%? Thanks!
to @dibbles and catscankim, i obviously need to pay more attention to where I get my oils and write in down. Another thing learned of importance.

Hi, actually yes, I need straight lavender. I don't really have any particular vendors yet that I prefer. I've used different ones, including amazon for essential oils. Have never bought fragrance oils...Thanks! I'll be interested in what you learn!

Catscankim, you may have hit the nail on the head. In the past I had used 40/42, (which I think my mother noticed a couple of years ago) I just looked and noticed I had NOW lavender, not 40/42. I also know I used eocalc which was at 5%. How high can you go with lavender? Up to 6%? Thanks!
to @dibbles and catscankim, i obviously need to pay more attention to where I get my oils and write in down. Another thing learned of importance.
I haven't really used too many EO in soap. All lavender and that little bit of peppermint from that other soap. I plan on using some tea tree in the future. Yet to use EO calc, because I don't use anything but the lavender right now. Its just a whole nother learning I need to do. I love my essential oils and I know quite a bit abut them...... A) cost, B) not learned enough on using in soap.

When I use lavender EO, I also use the 40/42. I find that it sticks pretty well. Unfortunately, the lavender FOs I have are mostly lavender, but not straight lavender. I have one from WSP that is pretty much straight lavender, but haven't tested it yet. It smells nice OOB, and I'm hoping to get it tested this week to see how it smells in soap, how well it sticks, etc. I have a few lavender sage and a couple of lavender with other florals, but nothing else just lavender alone. I haven't found anything I like better than Lavender Breeze from Sweet Cakes. It is expensive, but also strong enough that using it at .5 or .75 ounces per pound of oils is enough. I did use lavender FO from Elements, which I think was single note but I think I found it a little weak. I wish I could remember about that one, but I think if I had really loved it I would remember. Lavender Blossom from Bramble Berry is also quite nice. I just soaped with it, so can't say anything about scent retention though.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a herbal lavender fragrance or a flowery lavender one? I've got one that's flowery OOB, but I haven't used it yet to see if it morphs to herbal.
I think of lavender essential oil as true to smelling real lavender buds..I do grow it, so I guess I think of it as herbal. Maybe I'm wrong with thinking that. Maybe it's flowery. But it's whatever has the scent of real lavender. Some scents in lotions, candles, etc. that I've smelled in stores aren't really like lavender, at least not to me.

I’ve used candle science lavender FO and it sticks reasonably well. Also try their white sage and lavender - it’s lovely!
Thanks KiwiMoose! I just looked them up. I’m not familiar with them. It looks like they’re working on their lavender with a new version in Jan. The lavender and sage looks good. I may try that for my mother.

When I use lavender EO, I also use the 40/42. I find that it sticks pretty well. Unfortunately, the lavender FOs I have are mostly lavender, but not straight lavender. I have one from WSP that is pretty much straight lavender, but haven't tested it yet. It smells nice OOB, and I'm hoping to get it tested this week to see how it smells in soap, how well it sticks, etc. I have a few lavender sage and a couple of lavender with other florals, but nothing else just lavender alone. I haven't found anything I like better than Lavender Breeze from Sweet Cakes. It is expensive, but also strong enough that using it at .5 or .75 ounces per pound of oils is enough. I did use lavender EO from Elements, which I think was single note but I think I found it a little weak. I wish I could remember about that one, but I think if I had really loved it I would remember. Lavender Blossom from Bramble Berry is also quite nice. I just soaped with it, so can't say anything about scent retention though.
Thanks dibbles.. I appreciate all your input and research . I’m thinking maybe I’ll try a blend , maybe my mother will like it if it smells really good and the lavender is most noted. She’s very tuned into particular scents. Lavender being one, and I remember as a kid she wore a lily of the valley perfume. I told her I was on a mission finding the perfect scent! Lol

I haven't tried candle science - @KiwiMoose when you say it sticks reasonably well, do you mean +6 months without a lot of fading?
@Basil If you are open to blends, I have tested lavender sage from Fragrance Buddy and it seems to be pretty strong and sticking, but it is only a couple of weeks old. I like it. Lavender sage from WSP is very nice and lavender sage from Nurture is probably my favorite of the 3, but is also the most expensive. So far, both of them are sticking. Lavender Chamomile from Nurture is quite nice, but a FO on the lighter side. Lavender chamomile from WSP has faded since it was poured.

Good luck with your search for the perfect lavender for your mother.

I haven't tried candle science - @KiwiMoose when you say it sticks reasonably well, do you mean +6 months without a lot of fading?
@Basil If you are open to blends, I have tested lavender sage from Fragrance Buddy and it seems to be pretty strong and sticking, but it is only a couple of weeks old. I like it. Lavender sage from WSP is very nice and lavender sage from Nurture is probably my favorite of the 3, but is also the most expensive. So far, both of them are sticking. Lavender Chamomile from Nurture is quite nice, but a FO on the lighter side. Lavender chamomile from WSP has faded since it was poured.

Good luck with your search for the perfect lavender for your mother.
Thanks dibbles! @KiwiMoose and @Catscankim ..... AND on another note!! After reading back on my calculations... I did NOT use 5% but rather LESS than 3%! So, recalculating, for my batch of 29 oz I should have used close to 5 tsps and I used 2! ( simplifying) I was reading over an article from lovely greens again.( correct me if I’m wrong 😩) So, maybe mystery solved.. 40/42 and recalculate again! However, I think I will try your suggestions with fragrance just for my mother. I appreciate everyone’s help! I’ll let you all know after I try some.

Thanks dibbles! @KiwiMoose and @Catscankim ..... AND on another note!! After reading back on my calculations... I did NOT use 5% but rather LESS than 3%! So, recalculating, for my batch of 29 oz I should have used close to 5 tsps and I used 2! ( simplifying) I was reading over an article from lovely greens again.( correct me if I’m wrong 😩) So, maybe mystery solved.. 40/42 and recalculate again! However, I think I will try your suggestions with fragrance just for my mother. I appreciate everyone’s help! I’ll let you all know after I try some.
I strongly recommend that you measure by weight (grams or oz) and not by volume (tablespoons). Each tablespoon of FO or EO is going to have a different weight, so your results are not going to be consistent when using tablespoons. Not as big of a deal for adding something like sugar or salt, but it can make a big difference with fragrance and also things like sodium lactate, which can come in a thin watery light-weight liquid, or a viscous heavier form.

I strongly recommend that you measure by weight (grams or oz) and not by volume (tablespoons). Each tablespoon of FO or EO is going to have a different weight, so your results are not going to be consistent when using tablespoons. Not as big of a deal for adding something like sugar or salt, but it can make a big difference with fragrance and also things like sodium lactate, which can come in a thin watery light-weight liquid, or a viscous heavier form.
Hi Alioop, yes, I did measure it by weight when I was making the soap. I didn’t have my notes in front of me and was using the conversion calculator on my phone when I was figuring out what I did- which is I why I meant ‘simplify’ as I was writing. Not simplify actually measuring. Thanks for making sure though. I should have taken the time to write my response correctly, but my grand kids were crawling on me and I was excited to figure it out. I made it confusing and sorry for that . As always, I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ve learned from this thread.

But she likes my soap , so my question is, what’s the best lavender fragrance oil I could get for her soaps only?

Lavender and I don't get along, but I know people like it so I have tried several different FO and I can tolerate and even enjoy BrambleBerry's Lavender FO. I used it at 1 oz PPO and I still have two bars from about 6 months ago and still smell nice.

Hi Alioop, yes, I did measure it by weight when I was making the soap. I didn’t have my notes in front of me and was using the conversion calculator on my phone when I was figuring out what I did- which is I why I meant ‘simplify’ as I was writing. Not simplify actually measuring. Thanks for making sure though. I should have taken the time to write my response correctly, but my grand kids were crawling on me and I was excited to figure it out. I made it confusing and sorry for that . As always, I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ve learned from this thread.
Totally makes sense. Grandkids can be all-absorbing, that is for sure!

Latest posts

Back