Lavender essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatoverde

Reaction score
hi I have the following question:
To make a lavender soap how much essential oil is needed?
My standart receipe is the following:
493 grams of olive oil
200 grams of coconut oil
99 grams of lye
213 grams of water
It would be a big help if somebody could tell me how much ml of lavender oil is needed. I tried the fragrance calculator from brambleberry it shows 31 grams of oil, so im little bit confused if that is correct? ( it seems a lot to me) so any help is welcome.
Greetings from Chile
#_gatoverde

I’ve entered your oil proportions in soapcalc and it comes out to 21.48g essential oil. I have to admit that the lavender aroma fades very quickly in cold process soap, which is maybe why the bramble berry calculator has a higher percentage.

Hi gativerde and welcome to the forum!
fragrance calculator from brambleberry it shows 31 grams of oil, so im little bit confused if that is correct?
It sounds correct to me for the batch size you are making. I've found Brambleberry's fragrance calc to be reliable for the scents they carry.

I’ve entered your oil proportions in soapcalc and it comes out to 21.48g essential oil. I have to admit that the lavender aroma fades very quickly in cold process soap, which is maybe why the bramble berry calculator has a higher percentage.
thanks so much¡ hmm..yes I was thinking the same about the lavender aroma, it fades very quickly and the oil ( at least here in Chile) is very expensive, so not an easy task to get a lavender soap that has a strong lavender scent. :)

Soapcalc usually has very low fragrance/eo recommendations, you can use eocalc.com for essential oil % recommendations.
I try to make hot process soap instead of cold process when I want to use an essential oil that is pricey, since it is added after the cook, a lower percentage is needed (I think about 3% of total batch?)

Soapcalc usually has very low fragrance/eo recommendations, you can use eocalc.com for essential oil % recommendations.
I try to make hot process soap instead of cold process when I want to use an essential oil that is pricey, since it is added after the cook, a lower percentage is needed (I think about 3% of total batch?)
thanks so much for this advice¡ So did you tried making hot processed soap with 3% of lavender oil ( or any other)?

thanks so much for this advice¡ So did you tried making hot processed soap with 3% of lavender oil ( or any other)?
I did. I made one with lavender and one with spearmint eo. I think at the time I used the brambleberry calculator and they had a rebatch option (or melt and pour) and I used the amount recommended for that. It was several years ago so I don’t remember the exact amount.

For that batch size, I would use 48 grams of Lavender Oil which would be 7% of the total oil amount, 3% would be a total waste of money spent on Lavender oil. Keep in mind if you are going by IFRA guidelines it would be by Total Batch weight which would be considerably higher. IFRA does not designate per pound of oil. I just always used what percentage worked for me and my fragrance without causing irritation. When I started soaping we did not hear of IFRA so we had to use common sense.

I just always used what percentage worked for me and my fragrance without causing irritation. When I started soaping we did not hear of IFRA so we had to use common sense.

I didn't realise that Soapcalc uses a lower % than other calculators. What % do you use?

Back