Lavender EO in CP-- does it die or just weaken?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Every time that I use Lavender EO in a blend, I find that the Lavender disappears (or is overpowered) in the finished product. I also found this chart which lists Lavender as an EO that reacts to lye. The reaction doesn't necessarily mean that the scent will die. It may mean that I just need to add more.

Has anyone had success using Lavender EO in CP soap? I thought I would just ask before wasting any more of my EO.

Any information you provide will be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)
http://roberttisserand.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Oils-for-soap-Table.jpg

I use Lavender EO with no problem with the scent sticking around. I dislike florals for the most part and Lavender & Lilac are the worst to me. They sell well so I carry them.

The EO doesn't disappear for me ( I use .5 oz PPO) but it is a lighter scent. FO does make the scent a bit bolder if that is what you are looking for.

I find lavender EO lasts pretty well in my CP soap. I use it at around 2% of my oil weight. Or in a blend with clary sage is really nice and long lasting!

I like to anchor my lavender EO in arrowroot powder as a slurry which helps, I also add just a titch of lemongrass EO which also anchors it pretty well. But I find I save most of my EO's for HP rather than CP as I can smell them stronger.

I find lavender EO lasts pretty well in my CP soap. I use it at around 2% of my oil weight. Or in a blend with clary sage is really nice and long lasting!
I agree wth the great suggestion of clary sage, I also add a tiny bit of patchouli eo to anchor scent. It lasts. But I also usually blend lavandin eo with lavender eo, because I have the feeling (which I cannot prove ;)) that the lavandin it lasts longer in soap. And it is cheaper as well.

Hello, I must agree, for me, lavender is one of the scents that aren't very strong, unlike some spices. I usually use very little EO in my soap as I don't have large amounts of EO, it is sold only in 10 ml or even 5 ml and it costs a lot and as I make soaps just for fun, I don't want to waste money on EO. So my problem might be the small amount of EO, but anyway - I have used for example patchouli or clove or cinnamon, never used large quantities and it smells really a lot. I do believe lavender oil does evaporate.
Anyway, I am going to try HP soaps for the first time and hope the EOs will react differently too

Back