Lavender Buds Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So I bought some lavender buds and wanted to know besides using them as a "topping", can I grind them up finer and use them in the batter without them turning brown or turning the soap brown?

Well **** it! I might HP then b/c I thought they would look good within the soap.

Would they still keep their color on top of the soap?

Aand Ill be the outlier - I coarsely ground some and added to my soap and I think they add a nice gentle scrubbiness. I didn't add them whole to avoid the mouse poop thang. I did this for both HP and CP, and honestly I like the CP better, but maybe that's just me - Ill scare up some photos. Oh and I soak them in my lavender EO before mixing them into the very thin trace batter (CP) or at the cooldown (HP), and I think it makes the scent stick better. But you WILL get drag marks when you cut, unless you use individual moulds.

Another thing you can do is dry them super well and grind them super fine and sift them after you pour half the soap to make a pencil line, that's worked very well for me.

Aand Ill be the outlier - I coarsely ground some and added to my soap and I think they add a nice gentle scrubbiness. I didn't add them whole to avoid the mouse poop thang. I did this for both HP and CP, and honestly I like the CP better, but maybe that's just me - Ill scare up some photos. Oh and I soak them in my lavender EO before mixing them into the very thin trace batter (CP) or at the cooldown (HP), and I think it makes the scent stick better. But you WILL get drag marks when you cut, unless you use individual moulds.

Another thing you can do is dry them super well and grind them super fine and sift them after you pour half the soap to make a pencil line, that's worked very well for me.

I really like your idea about soaking them in the lavender EO prior to putting them in. I usually just add the dried buds to the top, myself. I like the idea of grinding them for a little exfoliating action, though!

No matter if you add them in cp or after the cook in hp, they will turn brown. I agree, whole lavender buds look like mouse poop in soap. Ground buds only in soap, or sprinkle them on top.

Ok I will nix putting them in the batter then. Glad I asked, thanks guys!

Ok heres some soaps with ground or powdered lavender buds in them.

This was one of my very first soaps ever. It was an HP bastille with a powdered lavender pencil line and incredibly rustic. Its now a year old and I saved some and its really nice!
Lavendersoap.jpg

The two below are more recent. The purple one just has a pencil line in powdered lavender. The white one just finished curing, and you can see the drag marks from cutting. The individually molded ones are much prettier. But DANG its a nice soap to use - it has lard in it and I love it. But its not exactly a pretty soap.

white lavender cp.JPG

Purple lavender clay soap.JPG

I have done a similar loaf on request (not a big fan of floral scents). My buds stayed fairly true to color. I had done a white top but in retrospect should have left it a darker color to hide the spots where the buds fell off and left the surface discolored. Yours came out lovely!

I have done a similar loaf on request (not a big fan of floral scents). My buds stayed fairly true to color. I had done a white top but in retrospect should have left it a darker color to hide the spots where the buds fell off and left the surface discolored. Yours came out lovely!

Thanks! I will cut tonight, I layered uncolored soap with lavender colored and tried the spoon swirl for the first time so we will see how it turned out.

Back