Lavender and Sage Ione Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a triple butter soap with Cocoa butter, Mango butter and Shea butter. I used NS Lavender and sage FO. It smells amazing, Lavender and herbs. But it was so strong while I was soaping and afterward, I had to put the soap outside to set up and bleach the kitchen to try to get rid of the smell. Just too powerful for me. Smells great now though!

I attempted the Ione swirl I found in the past challenges thread. It's not quite like hers in the video, but I am pleased with it. So delicate and swirly! 😂
IMG_20210728_114653545.jpg

Yup, glycerin rivers in the pink. Just ask me - I get them in every batch so i know :)
These look lovely @MrsZ !
Thank you! I think soap does it's own thing half the time. :)

Do you have any idea why the glycerin rivers happen? I like the look, but have no idea why I've never had them before. I soaped at 85 degrees F or 29C. And put the soap outside at about 100F (37C) all afternoon.

Pretty colors and nice swirls!

It should be quite difficult to get rivers at 35% lye concentration. Was your TD in water?
Yes, it was. I didn't measure the water though. On a video I watched, they said that TD tends to accelerate, and she uses more water to compensate. So I eyeballed it and made a very thin TD/ Distilled water solution.

I do tend to get them more when I use TD, but I still get them without. It could just be how hot your recipe gets during gel? I use 30 - 33% lye conc.
I was bad, this is a completely new recipe I'd never tried before. And it smelled so strong that I left it completely alone until it was cool, so I didn't notice how hot it got either. I'll be interested to see if it happens again. :) I think the rivers are pretty.

Really, really lovely soap and great color combo!
When I use TD I soap at less than 100 degrees F. My lye to lye solution ratio is 32.5%. I don't get glycerin rivers that way. I like to avoid them -- but your soap is really beautiful.

Really, really lovely soap and great color combo!
When I use TD I soap at less than 100 degrees F. My lye to lye solution ratio is 32.5%. I don't get glycerin rivers that way. I like to avoid them -- but your soap is really beautiful.
What exactly do you mean by lye to lye solution ratio? I've never heard of this and am curious. :)

I soaped at about 85 degrees, so I'm not certain what caused it unless it was setting it outside to set up and cool. It has been pretty hot here. I wonder if that may be it, because I made a different soap, different recipe today and got mild GR in the TD part of the swirl too. Honestly, I'm happy to finally experience some of the things I've read about!

Back