Lavander soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I was just reading some posts in the business section that made me chuckle and kinda cringe at the same time. I think it was AMD that was talking about making soaps that you dont care for,
for a business :) . I am not a fan of lavender either but have gotten 3 requests for it at the markets I am at. I have made two mixed with other scents--one of course was anise and the other was tea tree which is another cringe worthy scent for me. but people sound like they want just lavender. how many of you guys use just lavender and how many mix with other scents? and what other scents do you use? what type of lavender do you use, do some hold their scent more than others? thanks in advance for any input!!

I love lavender! I love using it as a stand alone fragrance in my CP soaps. Right now I am using a very nice EO from Bramble Berry until I can find a supplier with faster delivery times. BB offers what they call Hungarian Lavender, but they say it's comprised of Bulgarian lavender plants. It's very medical OOB, but becomes a beautiful, long-lasting scent in soap. I also use Rosemary/Mint, Patchouli EO (just a little since it's so expensive), Jasmine/Honeysuckle, and a bunch more, but these are some of my faves.

I love lavender! I love using it as a stand alone fragrance in my CP soaps. Right now I am using a very nice EO from Bramble Berry until I can find a supplier with faster delivery times. BB offers what they call Hungarian Lavender, but they say it's comprised of Bulgarian lavender plants. It's very medical OOB, but becomes a beautiful, long-lasting scent in soap. I also use Rosemary/Mint, Patchouli EO (just a little since it's so expensive), Jasmine/Honeysuckle, and a bunch more, but these are some of my faves.

I really need to try spearmint/rosemary--do you use more mint or more rosemary or 50/50. I like patchouli cuz it brings me right back to my teen years but does it sell at your markets? thanks for the heads up on the Hungarian Lav, I have an order set for BB so I will add that

I was just reading some posts in the business section that made me chuckle and kinda cringe at the same time. I think it was AMD that was talking about making soaps that you dont care for,
for a business :) . I am not a fan of lavender either but have gotten 3 requests for it at the markets I am at. I have made two mixed with other scents--one of course was anise and the other was tea tree which is another cringe worthy scent for me. but people sound like they want just lavender. how many of you guys use just lavender and how many mix with other scents? and what other scents do you use? what type of lavender do you use, do some hold their scent more than others? thanks in advance for any input!!
Lavender eucalyptus is really nice, like a refreshing lavender. Try combining scents in small amounts..a drop of one, two drops of another in a small container and see what you like! Or come as close to liking as you can--lol

The rosemary/mint is a pre-mixed blend from Nurture Soap so I don't know the precentages. I haven't used the patchouli EO because I could only afford a tiny bottle and I'm saving it for myself. I do have a patchouli FO from Candle Science that people like because it's sweeter and doesn't smell as earthy as the EO.

I use toothpicks dipped in the bottles n sniff em together to see if I get a blend I like.

And I'm one who doesn't like lavender alone. I mean the EO. Infusion I like. I always mix my lavender..

I've tried it with lemon, tea tree, cedarwood, spearmint, eucalyptus, elemi and cypress (can't remember any others and my notes aren't with me).. And a combination of several of the above.

Patchouli is another I like mixing with others, almost everything actually, but very little of it.

Patchouli is another I like mixing with others, almost everything actually, but very little of it.

that's how I feel about cedarwood :)
I use toothpicks dipped in the bottles n sniff em together to see if I get a blend I like.

I was doing this too but I find I get a better whiff if I use q-tips

My son and daughter-in-law own a lavender farm and I make their private label soaps. “Naked Lavender with buds” because that is what their customers love best, Lavender/activated charcoal with tea tree oil and peppermint, Lavender/rosemary. The more I use lavender, the better I like it.

Can anyone tell me the difference between lavendin and lavender?

According to the Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Lavandin (Lamiaceae )(Labiatae) is a hybrid developed by crossing true lavender with Spike Lavender or aspic. “A colorless or pale yellow liquid with a fresh camphorous topnote and a woody herbaceous undertone. It is more penetrating than lavender with a sharper scent. Non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I was just openening the lavendin and spilled some on my dining room chair! Now the lavendin smell is all over the house! Small house! Smells just as you described!

how many of you guys use just lavender
I made single note lavender goat milk soap for a wholesale customer for several years. It was a year-round best seller. We used the high altitude French lavender, but for a more floral note, you might want to try the Bulgarian from this top-rated vendor on Ebay:

Sun Pure Botanicals

Yes, straight up Lavender always seems to be in demand, and those who LOVE it can tell between a lavender FO and the real thing. On a personal level, it's ok, but I'm not fond of it mixed with many other oils unless it's in the background. I tried a lavender/patchouli 50/50 blend (I LOVE patchouli), and IMO the lavender just ruined the patchouli! lol One blend I do like it 50/50 in though is with Frankincense. They pair well together in my nose. :)

Back