Laundry soap???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I make my own launrdy soap too

Grace said:
What I do is save the ends of the bars and when I collect enough, I toss them into a pot, add water and heat it up to melt the bits. When it cools it turns into a gel and I just scoop a spoonful of this into the wash. It also works great for other cleaning jobs.

As for dryer sheets, where possible I hang clothes out on the line. Nothing smells better than that. The commercial dryer sheets are highly toxic, and they gum up the vents back of your dryer creating a fire hazard. Not only that, they smell horrible. Maybe a few drops of essential oil on a facecloth if you want smell?

I like the line fresh scent also...nothing beats that. Grace - I have done the gel one as well. Most times it thickens back up on me.

Thank you for the link Snflwrgrl7!

Has anyone made a laundry soap that can be used in place of the HE formulas? I just got one of those newfangled front loading washers that use less water and such. The book says to only use the low sudsing HE detergents.

I know this can be important because I ran out of dishwasher soap one time and used a spot of dishwashing liquid........ :shock: Ended up with really clean floors.

Digit

Hi Digit - Sorry - I haven't made any...not certain what an HE is? I have a front loading machine - I use my homemade stuff all the time. I know a few times DH used commercial detergents and the washer kept stopping.

ellen said:
...not certain what an HE is? I have a front loading machine - I use my homemade stuff all the time. I know a few times DH used commercial detergents and the washer kept stopping.

Hi Ellen,

HE is high efficiency. It uses alot less water than standard top loaders. So the detergent must be low sudsing and effective for low water amounts.

Washers have come a long way. I've only used 4 in my lifetime including this one. The first was a beast on the back porch with a hand cranked wringer. The wash board then alternated from scrubbing tool to bath tub toy. :lol: Yep, took more than one bath in the wash tub, too. I am not that old, just from the sticks. :lol:

digit

Laundry detergent made from handmade soap, borax, and washing soda should be fine in a front loader. It has very little suds.

Yep, took more than one bath in the wash tub, too. I am not that old, just from the sticks. :lol:

digit[/quote]
LOL I like that one Digit that is how I feel. My favorite washing machine to this day is a wringer type one. Wish I could get fiancee to let me use one in the house, or the back yard. Went up to Northern Ark. couple of summers ago to stay with an elderly lady friend for a bit and we went auctioning and I found one for $30.00 and it works like a charm. Unfortanly (sp) it is still up there. I plan to go get it though, they sure are dandys.

Krickett

IanT said:
Ok, trying to get some info about laundry soap..

I make my own laundry soap, but I use borax too. I think the recipe could easily be adjusted to include another ingredient, like more soap or some kind of powdered soap. You might want to check out Whole Foods to see what kind of powdered soaps they have. Here is a link to my blog that has info about the making of laundry soap: http://blog.knoxfarms.com/?p=28

Yeah, let me know if you find a borax alternative. We just did a bulk shop at wally world and they didn't have any.

I have a question about Borax and the washing soda. Are they safe for septic tanks? Does anyone know? Many Thanks for your answers!!

krickett

Great site La O!! Thanks.

I was looking into this and dtumbled across this site: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap2.htm
It interested me because of she said several ladies responded that it was safe for HE machines. Scary still because it will void the warranty.

Kricett - can't say for sure, but I would think it so. Maybe you could call a local plumber and ask? I would call several just to be sure they all say the same thing. And keep your fingers clear of that wringer when you get your old machine, lol. :D

I was seriously contemplating the other day of trying to buy an old washboard and wringer and stop using electric washer/dryers...of course Id probably have to wash what I wore each day/ every other day to prevent it from piling up and having to spend hours on it...but I could probably make the gel soap and then use that with one of the washboards and such...kind of make a meditation out of it :)

where could one acquire one of those???

I also thought itd save me on electric!!

Google Lehman's supply. The spelling might be off, but they have a bunch of non electrical stuff

Ok, I have another question. I was reading someplace--on this site I believe--that you can make dishwashing powder with Borax and Washing Soda, mix equal parts. If this is so can you just use the same combination for laundry soap as well without adding anything extra and it will clean the clothes? Many Thx for the responses in advance.

Krickett

Latest posts

Back