Laundry Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
I've been making my own laundry detergent, by mixing 1/2 bar of castile soap (grated) and 1 cup washing soda and 1 cup borax. It works well, but I'd like to make a laundry soap specially designed for laundry. I want to be ecologically friendly, cheap, and effective.

I was thinking all coconut oil with 0% lye discount. But would that be too "bubbly" for the washing machine?

The other thought is 100% palm oil. I bought a ton of it before I knew the environmental impact of it- and it is far lower in "bubbly" and "cleansing". I have 3 one gallon jugs of it, unfortunately.

So, I am considering a 50/50% mix with no lye discount. That way I could use up my palm oil but once it's gone, it's gone.

What I'm thinking is that I want clean clothes, of course, but I"m unsure what would give me the best cleaning at a cheap-ish price. And work in a washing machine with not too much sudsing!

I could make small batches, and grate the soap for use. Does anybody else do this? Or, is that is really crazy idea?

Hi, i to am a newbie, I think its awesome that you are making your own laundry detergent, did you figure it out?

I was wondering why you said castile soap is that the same as CP soap?

Thanks

crazdcrafter said:
I was wondering why you said castile soap is that the same as CP soap?

Thanks

true castile is soap made out of olive oil, lye and water.

C(old) P(our) is one of many processes that you can use to turn oils, lye and water into soap.

I use the recipe krissy posted....but the coconut oil version that's further down in the post. Love it!

Thank you! Great ideas. I do something similar now, making powdered soap.

I was thinking more along the lines of making a bar soap, and continuing to do it the way I am, grating it, but was unsure of what type of soap to use for that bar. But now I have some ideas!

Latest posts

Back