Laundry soap with 'leftovers'?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
One book I've read said that any minor soap mess-ups can be used in the laundry. Is this true even with lye-heavy batches?? I'm just concerned for the safety of my clothing, which will eventually be worn again.

I am also interested in using some of my soap in the laundry room and was thinking of making a batch (or two) of soaps specifically for that. I had gotten some lard (which I can't return now thanks to my precocious toddler) and was considering using some of it to make specific laundry soap bars. Is there any reason that would be a bad idea? I hate for it to go to waste since I already have it.

I make a lard laundry soap , with lard , coconut oil and lye . Works great and makes a great stain remover too.
I don't know about lye heavy soap though , maybe someone else will pop in with the answer.

Kitn

If I were making a soap specifically for the laundry I would have no superfat at all, you don't want excess fats in your wash.
As for a lye heavy batch, I'm not sure, maybe it would be better to rebatch it into a laundry batch and use it up that way?
Or, just grate it up, put it in a bucket with some hot water to cover, let the hot water melt the soap, stir it a lot over a couple of days to break it up. I have done this and also added borax and washing soda. Makes a great wash detergent.

I use a 100% coconut oil soap with no superfat for laundry soap! I add a cup of grated soap to 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup washing soda to a 4L laundry soap jug and fill it up with hot water. Shake it well and in a few days it should turn to jelly, kind of. It looks gross, but it works!

Your lye heavy soap will be fine to use as laundry soap if it is a recipe that contains borax. Borax will neutralize lye so you are safe.

Bruce

AshleyR said:
I use a 100% coconut oil soap with no superfat for laundry soap! I add a cup of grated soap to 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup washing soda to a 4L laundry soap jug and fill it up with hot water. Shake it well and in a few days it should turn to jelly, kind of. It looks gross, but it works!

So how much do you use per load? Do you have a top loader or front loader?

l'm using my cruddy soap batches as laundry soap...what l do is throw about 5 big bars in the bottom of a standard household bucket. I then fill it up with hot water and let it 'stew' for a day. It goes all yukky and jelly-like as mentioned above. Each morning l tip the entire bucket full of soapy water in my washing machine but leave the soap sludgy lump at the bottom. I then run my washing machine as normal, refill the bucket with hot water again, and save it till the next day.
It's great for trimmings or soap leftovers too, every day l throw a bit more in the bucket as l make/trim soap. I put the slivers from our shower in there too. lts working great for me so far, and all my soap is 7% superfatted, l'm a bit worried about that now, l hope my clothes don't go oily LOL.
l'm also using white vinegar as a fabric softener which works great!

Back