Laundry Soap Amount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
I made laundry soap CO, Tallow
HE top loader machine
About how much should I use to start?

Do you want a powder, a gel or a cream? I make cream and I use 12 oz of soap, grated to 16 ounces of washing soda, to 16 ounces of borax. Dissolve the soap in 96 ounces of water (boil and stir). Cool to about 100 degrees and add in borax stir till dissolved then add washing soda stir until dissolved. You can add fragrance at this point if you wish. Stir once more and leave it to cool completely (overnight for me). When it is cool it will be a gel. Take a stick blender to it to form a cream. One tablespoon of cream per load of normally soiled clothes. If you keep it gel you will use a bit less. I'm not sure of how much powder you would use but this recipe yields me about 4 and 1/2 quarts (one quart is 64 loads). So a total of 288 loads. I start with 44oz of dry ingredients so that means I use less than .2 ounces of dry ingredients per load. Of course I think the water added helps to better disperse the ingredients for washing.

Last edited:
I'm looking at using it as dry laundry soap.
Would this soap be good for delicate cloths?

I read one place that some people also add borax to the mix. Is that recommended?

I mix borax, washing soda, and CO grated/powdered soap equally and it works wonderfully! *following - because I am curious about what others think about borax*

I use 10oz grated coconut oil soap mixed with 1cup borax and 1cup washing soda. Run it through the blender to mix and make a fine powder.

I used to use only 5oz of soap but i found myself doing what i always do and adding extra scoops. So i doubled my soap amount and that keeps my hand/head in check. 2-3 tbsp max for each load

I cut up a 5 oz bar of soap into my food processor and mix to a fine powder. Then I blend in 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, and 1 cup Oxyclean. Use 1 Tbsp for front load washing machines or 2 Tbsp for top load washing machines. My DH doesn't have any allergic reactions to it and it cleans better than store bought laundry soap. When you use it, always run hot water first to make sure it is fully dissolved. Then switch your water to the desired temperature and add your clothes.

Last edited:
I put the soap threw a meat grinder a couple of times then add the other ingredients and ran it threw again. Then mix it again.

Back